Mark
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
jpetillo

Re: Any results from the runoffs at LRP yet

Post by jpetillo »

Mark,

It rained all night Friday and was supposed to rain during Saturday's race as well. The forecast called for a respite at 8-9 AM Saturday morning and then it was supposed to start up again by our race. The rain stopped when the first race started - FV was race group two. For the FV race, the track was still very wet, but there was perhaps a drying line on parts of the course. I'd say half the field went out on rains and half on slicks. We knew it was going to be interesting. Oh, and while we were in the hot pit waiting to go out, they announced that there was oil on the downhill that they attempted to deal with.

The start of the race immediately had alphabetically Galuardi, Parker & Petillo take the lead positions on rains - with Parker & Petillo eventually swapping positions for the lead a few too many times. About 2/3 - 3/4 of the race, Mike Sampson on slicks was trading places with the front running Vees on rains for some number of laps. Mike then made it to the front and got away. Then Colin Lawrence also on slicks came through to take second place - he was moving! Petillo & Parker got split up with some traffic at the end - Parker prevailed in fine fashion.

The race was simply a blast, especially when the slicks were coming in and we were trading places for many laps. By that time the writing was on the wall, though. It was really a crap shoot whether the rain was going to hold off and the track would come to the slicks.

Results...
1 Sampson
2 Lawrence (posted the fastest Vee time)
3 Parker
4 Petillo
5 Maitem
6 Begnoche
7 Galuardi (after a traffic-related spin - lost several positions)
8 White
9 Cheney
10 Bass
11 Ferreira (John's 2nd or 3rd vee race)
12 Valeo (slicks: crashed in front of Petillo going through stream - eye-opener)
13 Grace Jr. (retired on lap 18?)

I don't know many other events that happened during the race outside of my narrow view of the world, so for you folks who know more of the details, please add to or correct anything I wrote.