hardingfv32-1

Re: Runoffs 2011 Day One Qualifying

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

How wet was the track?

Brian
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

According to twitter, it had stopped raining a session before and was drying up.. From the times, looks like it was still pretty slick!
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

Michael was only about 6 seconds off his Q1 time from last year, it must not have been too slick. I assume the fast guys were all on slicks based on those times.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Yes - fast guys were all on slicks. MV waited and went out mid-session after a few of us had gotten though the worst of the wet :lol: . Track was EVIL on first couple of laps, but once we got a few dry spots, the braking points dried quite quickly. Each lap was about 2 seconds faster than the previous till the end of the session. At the end, I had ALMOST reached my dry braking points, but track out was still damp in several places. Carousel and kink were **INTERESTING** as we gambled to see who would be first to take both flat out. I managed it (with significant pucker) on my last timed lap - probably could have gone faster if I was braver :mrgreen: .

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Q3 just finished, MV still has pole but the top 5 has changed a bit :) They're getting closer!

Steve, how has the traffic been? Is it as bad as people were expecting?
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

tiagosantos wrote:...Steve, how has the traffic been? Is it as bad as people were expecting?
Monday traffic was no problem - only 3 or 5 F5's went out. Tuesday wasn't too bad as I only encountered 10 or so and they didn't seem to bother me much. HOWEVER, Wednesday was a MADHOUSE! The fast 500's caught us in about 3 laps, followed pretty closely by 2 more packs. After that, I had 3 - 5 PER LAP diving in and taking away apexes, passing me coming out of the carousel and then BRAKING for the kink! (these were the "slow" guys) I ended up giving up ~2 secs due to 500's on all laps except for the last one. Of course, Thursday was no problem as very few people went out at all - maybe 6 500's and 15 vees I'd guess. The humidity was MUCH higher Thurs - it wasn't actually raining, but the track was wet and it just wouldn't dry out this time. Most were on rains - I was on slicks, but was sideways MANY times. Didn't really expect to put down any decent times, but I DID think it would dry faster and be better than it was. All sessions after ours were completely dry except for the one right after us - it was dry by the end of their session.

Fortunately we had a completely dry race although it was still somewhat overcast ... and quite cool. The race was INTENSE (as it always is), but we (nearly) all managed to survive with nothing more than a couple of local yellows.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80