Grattan Double Regional (7/23, 7/24)

Dayle Frame

Grattan Double Regional (7/23, 7/24)

Post by Dayle Frame »

Hi folks,
Registration is now open for the inaugural 2011 WMR / MC Challenge Double Regional to be held at Grattan Raceway on 7/23, 7/24. This is a co-hosted event with Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs (MC). Both of us had poorly attended, money losing events at Grattan last summer so we're combining forces to hold a single event this season. MC licenses and logbooks are good for this event. As usual, there will be an open test day on Friday (7/22).

Since I'm Race Chair and I'm married to the Registrar, make her life easy (and therefore mine as well) and enter early. You can always bring a check to the track (without a late fee) so you don't even have to pay for it now.

If you haven't raced at Grattan before, please come on out and give it a try. It’s a great track with everything you could want in a road course. It's got some very technical bits, a long straight, lots of elevation changes and a wide variety of corners. It's been completely repaved in the last two off seasons and is smoooooth. Lap records will fall.

WMR is known for treating its drivers very well and this event will be no exception. We'll have driver, crew, worker party on Saturday evening. We have a new caterer and their meals were VERY well received at the Cheap Points Double National last month.

Register online at http://www.wmr-scca.motorsportreg.com. Schedule, race groupings, entry form and the tech sheet can be found there. Please contact me if you have any questions about the event, need help getting registered, etc. I can be reached at frameh at msu dot edu and 517.575.9450 (before 9pm ET please).

Thanks for your time,
Dayle
Hal

Re: Grattan Double Regional (7/23, 7/24)

Post by Hal »

I hope the test day will be guaranteed for this event as I went there on Thursday last year for the MC event specifically to take advantage of the test day, I had never been to the track before. The owner called off the test day Friday morning as he said there was not enough paying customers to pay for the day, even though we all offered to pay more to be able to get on the track. It was a waste of time and a waste of a day to go up early to sit around and fish. At this point I intend to participate in this event but will be none to pleased to have the test day called off for any reason. Hopefully it will work out better this year, great track.

Hal

Citation 88
D-13 88
Dayle Frame

Post by Dayle Frame »

Hal wrote:I hope the test day will be guaranteed for this event as I went there on Thursday last year for the MC event specifically to take advantage of the test day, I had never been to the track before. The owner called off the test day Friday morning as he said there was not enough paying customers to pay for the day, even though we all offered to pay more to be able to get on the track. It was a waste of time and a waste of a day to go up early to sit around and fish. At this point I intend to participate in this event but will be none to pleased to have the test day called off for any reason. Hopefully it will work out better this year, great track.

Hal

Citation 88
D-13 88
I will contact my RE and have ask abuot the test day. I will report back to this forum (and others) should any change occur. I will say this though....I've been going to Grattan for a long tim e and I've not heard of them cancelling a test day before...and I've seen some low car counts. I'm not doubting your claim, just stating what I've seen. But I will check on the situation and let this forum know the results.

Dayle
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

This event is scheduled to be a Hoosier Tire 2011 US FST Series race and should bring out 12 to 14 FST's. It would be great for some FV's to show up to give a good performance comparison. The track is freshly paved, so look for track records to fall.
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"
Hal

Post by Hal »

12-14 FST's? Huh, I'd rather go fishing.... Kidding!

Hal
Citation 88
D-13 88
Dayle Frame

Post by Dayle Frame »

Dayle Frame wrote:
Hal wrote:I hope the test day will be guaranteed for this event as I went there on Thursday last year for the MC event specifically to take advantage of the test day, I had never been to the track before. The owner called off the test day Friday morning as he said there was not enough paying customers to pay for the day, even though we all offered to pay more to be able to get on the track. It was a waste of time and a waste of a day to go up early to sit around and fish. At this point I intend to participate in this event but will be none to pleased to have the test day called off for any reason. Hopefully it will work out better this year, great track.

Hal

Citation 88
D-13 88
I will contact my RE and have ask abuot the test day. I will report back to this forum (and others) should any change occur. I will say this though....I've been going to Grattan for a long time and I've not heard of them cancelling a test day before...and I've seen some low car counts. I'm not doubting your claim, just stating what I've seen. But I will check on the situation and let this forum know the results.

Dayle
My RE spoke with the track owners and was told that there is a ten car minimum for the track day to go forward. There are legitimate business realities involved as the track has to pay workers and if only a few cars show up, then the track loses money. With any kind of turnout, we don't expect that to happen, but one never knows.

Dayle
Hal

Post by Hal »

Yes, this is what we were told when it was cancelled I/we and understand the business stand point, but those of us who signed up and showed a day early for the practice day all offered to pay more AND provide workers (free of charge of course) so we could get on the track, a lot of us had never been there before and it sure would have been nice to spend a leisurley day learning the track, but we were turned down. Very disappointing to all who made the extra effort to be there on Friday. Yes I would think there will be more cars this time, sure hope so, don't want to be busted two years in a row on this issue. And thank you so much Dayle for your work in getting this event put together, should be a great weekend!

Hal
Citation 88
D-13 88
Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

I believe that several Vintage formula Vee which regularly run in the VSCDA series may also be attending this event.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B