Mosport F1200 May 7-8

problemchild

Mosport F1200 May 7-8

Post by problemchild »

The first race of the 2011 Ontario F1200 Series got off to a rousing start at Mosport on the May 7-8 weekend with 16 entries. The usual format of 2 short P & Q sessions with 3 races showed the multi-champion Mike Iamundi leading the way with 2 wins and WIM team-mate Phil Wang the other. Second year driver, Steve Bamford led all three races but had to settle for two seconds and a third. Bamford also ripped off a smokin' 143.3 lap record while in chase of the WIM teammates. Former champ Guy Bellingham, who had been tearing up NE tracks in 2010, made a return visit with two 4th place finishes. Al Spadin, travelled from PA and was rewarded with a 4th in race 1 but was involved in an incident in race 2 and was done early. Several new young rookies joined the field and ran strongly mid-field.

Mosport is located just northeast of Toronto and is one of a handful of great North American tracks remaining that have not been neutered with bustops and chicanes. F1200 is FV with 14" Falken tires and intake manifolds to 20th century specs. If any FVs would like to join us, please contact me and I'll find you some tires. I can also direct you to rental car programs.

Greg13rice at hotmail.com

Remaining Series Events:
July 16-17 DAC - Shannonville
August 6-7 BARC - Mosport
September 3-4 BARC - Mosport
September 17-18 BARC - Mosport
October 1-2 BARC - Mosport
Last edited by problemchild on May 13th, 2011, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
hojo

Re: Mosport F1200 May 7-8

Post by hojo »

heard it was a good opening weekend. see you at shannonville
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
G.B.

Post by G.B. »

Greg,

The fastest time posted all last year, the first year on the Falken tires, was a 1.44.9.

This year on the first weekend out, four drivers beat that time, whilst the gap back to the rest of the field was 4+ second a lap!

Any thoughts where the extra speed came from and the discrepancy to the rest of the pack?

I ran last year’s Falken, so I don’t think it’s the tires.

Guy.
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

G.B. wrote:Greg,

The fastest time posted all last year, the first year on the Falken tires, was a 1.44.9.

This year on the first weekend out, four drivers beat that time, whilst the gap back to the rest of the field was 4+ second a lap!

Any thoughts where the extra speed came from and the discrepancy to the rest of the pack?

I ran last year’s Falken, so I don’t think it’s the tires.

Guy.
Lots of seasons/experience and................................$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on cars/engines,money doesnt buy nerves/courage,cos thats what Im lacking at my age and its damn annoying OH! to be young and handsome and fearless again,and to have Bill Vallis knowledge etc,etc,etc. :mrgreen: :oops:
hojo

Post by hojo »

looking at my laps suggests the 1.43 was heavily draft assisted or some lap of the gods where it all went perfect???

looks like mid 1.44's seems to be the pace judging from the trophy race times.

the 4 second gap to the rest is quite surprising though, i've never seen that with a grid of 18 cars at mosport in my time there
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
Johnny_B

Post by Johnny_B »

The fast guys are on the new "K" version of the Falkan tires and liked them better after back to back testing.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Fastest laps in FV are virtually always situational and rarely by the fastest of the group. Steve did the 43.3 when he almost lost the WIM draft and then came around leading. Guy did his 43 when he was catching the pack. Although situational, no different than most other FV lap records and fast laps.

All 4 fast guys have good fresh Autowerks engines. AFAIK, Guy's is the only one upgraded from last season ..... when it was 5-6 years unfresh. Steve is running the exact same package that he ran in much of 2010. It is amazing what tracktime and confidence can do!

IMO, the tires are a second per lap faster and that any other speed increase was just having a small group of very fast guys.

The big gap to the rest is much the same reason. The in-between guys are gone. Sergio, Eric, and Aaron in particular but Bill Mitchel and Andrew were missing. Andre had engine problems. All this group regularily ran in the front group or formed their own 2nd group. I'm sure I insulted someone or left someone out in my explanation. Sorry.

There were a bunch of people who are new or improving, as in every first race of the season. I expect that by September, there will be one big pack or two smaller packs at the front and most of the rest will have closed the gap considerably. I thought it was a great start to the season!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
hojo

Post by hojo »

sounds about right greg

as soon as it get to be a 5 car lead pack with no breakaway it could easily grow to 7 or 8 or more potentially

that's nice to hear about the tires being a little better with the "K" spec
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
G.B.

Post by G.B. »

I was not on the 'K' spec tire.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Just think how fast you would be if you did!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

What is "different" about the "K" spec tire?As I had an oil leak problem I sat out the last race and watched from corner 2...man the front guys were bloody flying!!!Well done Steve Bamford,its great watching when you know the cars and drivers etc,it was strange tho to see the time difference to the next group,usually its not that much.IMO they were all pushing each other to the limits with the close fast racing as a group of 4..well done F1200 8)
hojo

Post by hojo »

the difference is minimial from what i've read. the construction and sidewall are identical but the tread compound is different. from auto slalom and larger cars the reports are more consistency over a run and slightly grippier. for the 1200's i would think it instills a little more confidence to the driver meaning better average laps. i ran the old falkens (used) for a test day last year and they weren't bad but they weren't predictable either, feedback wasn't all that good as compared to the kumho which had a stronger sidewall

as noted by Guy who ran non K spec you can run just as fast as K spec but it might be a little more hairier trying to do so.
thats my guess anyway
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

Guys US experience etc really shows,he caught the group of 3 up and they all had a close race,and after watching your 2009 videos Andrew you will have them worried 8) :mrgreen: "K" spec or not!!
G.B.

Post by G.B. »

The tires bite me in the end. I should have settled for second, but that is not really the idea. I was too hot into nine in the vain hope I might catch Phil Wang, slide wide and was so slow coming out of 10 that the others passed me. But that’s the way it goes. I was a very enjoyable race, nevertheless.
hojo

Post by hojo »

i'm expecting to be really ....really ....rusty, shannovilles no walk in the park either.

i guess your not points racing Guy. wins or nothing!
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

G.B. wrote:The tires bite me in the end. I should have settled for second, but that is not really the idea. I was too hot into nine in the vain hope I might catch Phil Wang, slide wide and was so slow coming out of 10 that the others passed me. But that’s the way it goes. I was a very enjoyable race, nevertheless.
Tell the truth Guy...you were just giving them a break :mrgreen: a real gentleman :lol:
kkapelke4

Post by kkapelke4 »

I had both the old falken and the new falkens side by side and they are exactly the same.

If you look at the sidewall of both tires they have the same sidewall construction, temperature ratings, and treadware rating. We also did a series a durometer tests hot and cold on both tires, cold anywhere between 62-70 and hot between 50-58. They were exactly the same +/- 1-2d.

So as far as the people going faster this year on the new falkens I would say is merely a coincidence. draft, track temp, and air temp were probally major factors.

Besides regardless of lap times I think we can all agree that Guy Bellingham was the quickest that weekend and he had the old spec tires. So I don't think there is any difference in tires.

As far as the lap time desparity to the rest of the field, I know one thing we are working hard everyday to narrow that gap!!!!

Just my 2 cents, thanks for listening.
hojo

Post by hojo »

the cars are too light to generate any significant heat into the tire, there's simply too much tire, kumho's were the same way but the compound was much tackier, hence less wear rating. our "spec" tires are made for 3000lb cars

i've tried all kinds of setup trying to get more heat into the tires, its not really feasible or you end up taking away from somewhere else to get it which hurts even more.
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200