Rationals scheduled in the West

hardingfv32-1

Re: Rationals scheduled in the West

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

1) The SFR is by far the largest and most active Region in the country. Not sure it is the best example.

2) I am comfortable with the decision that the local Regions make. They are politically much closer to the membership than say the National Office of SCCA.

3) Obviously chances are good that at least half of the $50 you attribute to the Region's spending are worth while and/or required. So let us say we reduce that number to $25. If we reduce the $27 that I stated that might be required by SCCA to say $14 per entry, then we are looking at a possible reduction $38 per entry fee. While that is a good reduction for the entry fee alone, it still not much when compared to the cost of the whole event weekend.

Again, at this time in your career, is it worth the fight?

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

Brian, you make a lot of assumptions that I would not make. Don't forget, I spent 35 years as a CPA. Much of the spending in SCCA, regionally and nationally, is now covered by entry fees. At one time, membership fees paid for most of the admin kind of things, With declining membership and subsidized membership fees, the burden of payment has shifted to entry fees. The SCCA political and budget process is virtually controlled by those who don't pay entry fees and those who rarely pay the price of their decisions. While you may be comfortable with the decisions that are made, many are not. Generally speaking, drivers and entrants are not involved in these processes and should be. Frankly, after many years of enjoying the fruits of other's labors, I think my SCCA activism should grow regardless of where my career is.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
shark32

Post by shark32 »

I am presently an SCCA member. Why? Because I have to be a member to be in the hot pits when my son races his IT car. I race in vintage with CVAR, RMVR, and VSCDA. Both CVAR and RMVR offer race weekends for $250 with plenty of track time. VSCDA costs are higher depending on the track. I raced SCCA and had a National license from 1972 to 1983. I remember the low entry costs and big fields. Now I see attendance at double regionals in the MW where break evens are not being met. The dilution of the amount of effort to reach the run-offs is astounding to me. I ran two Nationals and two Bonus Point Nationals along with three regionals in 1979 and I qualified for the runoffs. Based on current entry fees I would be hard pressed to enter 3 major Nationals based on current pricing. I plan to stay in vintage until age and my limited ability says stop!

Barry
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Why are they being called Rationals instead of Negionals?
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

You already asked that question back a page, which is a sure sign you're ready for an AARP card but just hitting your stride as an FV driver. :lol: