Official FV Discussion: SCCA Runoffs 2010

tiagosantos

Re: Official FV Discussion: SCCA Runoffs 2010

Post by tiagosantos »

Argh I'm so sorry I missed the race now! 7.30 was a bit to early for me on a Sunday, but man that would have been worth it.

Congrats to Rick Shields :)
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

well, that was interesting! congrats to rick on his win and roger and brandon on their podium. the sun had come out after our delayed start, but it was a brisk 50 degrees or so. the first four of us got away, thhen on lap 2 i thought i got the gap i needed to loose the draft....coming out of 7 roger had fallen back a bit, but when we got to 8 there was a huge puddle of oil with no warning from the workers. i hit it and didnt even come close to making the corner...it seemed like the others went off too, but were able to keep it straight and got back on.

near the end i got a bit to ambitious trying to get back to the front and came close to hitting chris jennerjahn in 12. i went over the inside curb to avoid contact and hooked the wheel and spun it again. thanks to all for avoiding me on that one.

it was a fun week- only 364 days until next year.

again, congrats to rick on a great run.

michael.
P-2 Mark

Post by P-2 Mark »

Congrats to Rick! What a photo finish that is posted on the SCCA website and can be enlarged
if you click on it! Great race and thanks Michael for the front of the pack description.

Mark
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

Sorry to say, I was involved in the incident that caused the oil slick in Turn 8. I got a decent start and passed a few cars going into T1, then drove around an incident in T5, where at least one car was sideways in the middle of the track. There was a white nose cone in the middle of the track and the car that was missing it was going slowly up the hill. I passed him going up the hill but in the braking zone for T8 I saw the noseless car in my mirror coming down the inside. I gave him room, made my apex, and as I was straightening out the wheel, I see a blur of yellow and blue come streaking down from the left, hit my left rear and then proceed to drive over my left front. I know it was Dave Satterly because I read his name on the side of the cockpit as he was flying over my wheel! The oil came from Satterly's right valve cover getting ripped off as he went over. Oddly enough, I had a bit of a toe change after that and the car was really squirrely under braking. I got an awful restart after the yellow and lost all the positions I had made up on the start, so I just cruised to the finish, the last car running.

Big thanks go out to Bill Stycyznski for loaning me a front beam after I bent mine in Q3, Bruce Livermore for the use of a set of wheels and tires, and Tad, Ian, and Terry Lenhart for the crew help all week. I got a real rookie intro to the Runoffs, but it was overall a fun experience at the end.
problemchild

Just what we needed!

Post by problemchild »

While a third of the NEDIV contingent were in impound .... the rest of us got stuck on the I80-I90 ..... closed for hours near South Bend Indiana. I drove across the median and re-routed through Canada. As I drove back, I recognized several racers and their entourages, stuck in the mess. Lousy way to end the week!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Video from the dull end of the grid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5gT98tMp6E
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

problemchild wrote:I'm leaving shortly with my Fox40, Autowerks, VeeSportRacing, VallisMotorsports, SugarGroveCustomCars, MonteCarloPoloClub, Goodyear, RiceRacePrep Mysterian M2. Workin' on a top-35 finish. :oops:
Cheers!
Greg

Nice video, got the part II?

And top 35 - heck you got 21st!

ChrisZ
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Part 2 would be the 45 mins of memory used while sitting on the false grid. Camera shut off just before the restart. I actually hit a few apexs but, otherwise, the rest was rather uneventful.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
72jeff

Post by 72jeff »

greg can't be the only one with a camera......c'mon guys, share
engineship

Post by engineship »

Mike Varacins,

Thanks for coming over after the race, that ment alot. I told Jim Kearney that I was going to follow you into the trees if I had to but when I saw you go into the grass at turn eight I said "NA" Thanks Rodger A."how you doooo'in" for running a perfect race, we knew one of us had a chance at this. You are one of the best FV drivers of all time and I'm still learning from you. Going into Canada Corner with Rodger in the lead I took the pass because of what I saw behide me. A pack of cars that would have passed both of us. Jim Kearney spent alot of time this past week watching cars come out of turn 14 and came to the conclusion that the car behide the lead car had a 50%. chance of passing before the start/finish line. It was not absolute as he put it.Which ment I had a shot at this. Thanks Jim for all of your help.

Mike,this is your track and it will be more difficult next year but it was a blast.

I would also like to thank Dave Scaler for the advice of staying on Rt 80 instead of going around the accident. With that and the advice of talking Janice into buying that sailboat, your batting 1000.

I had not met Bradon Peterson before this race, he is a very nice guy and run a great race.

Rick Shields
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

Congrats to Rick Shields for winning the RunOffs -- not an easy thing to do! Also congrats to Roger and Brandon for 2nd and 3rd. From what I hear it was one hell of a finish and I can't wait to watch the video at speedcasttv.com. Congrats to Dave Carr for having two engines at the front as well!!

Rick mentioned Jim Kearney in his post and he and I both hired Jim Kearney as a driver coach during the RunOffs and I can't thank Jim enough for how much he helped me. Even though Jim recently stopped racing, all the knowledge that he has gained over the 30+ years of racing vees is invaluable and he is a really great communicator so he knows how to make sure that you get the info that you need. Unfortunately my race results don't show how big of a help he was because I also spun in the oil in the carousel on the 2nd lap. However, I did start 17th with a time that was about 3 seconds a lap faster then what I had turned at the June Sprints in 2009 and I had moved up to 13th before the spin. Thanks Jim!

Ray Phillips
satterley_sr

Post by satterley_sr »

Sorry for dumping the oil in turn 8 and screwing up the race for so many drivers. My intention was to stay out of trouble at my first runoffs but somehow trouble found me. Entering turn eight I got in line with a couple of cars ahead, braked at about the 250 mark but a brake problem that occured in Q2 seemed to re-occur and my brakes seemed to fade, it was either run into the car ahead of me or go to the inside. I chose the inside and I ended up sliding through and running over Matt's wheel and knocking my valve cover off. Mia culpa please accept my profound apoligies, I for sure did not want to effect the race this way.

Dave Satterley
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

Hi Dave,

Don't sweat it. Unfortunately this is one of the byproducts of racing. You aren't the first to lose a valve cover without knowing it and you won't be the last! It was good meeting you and your son at the Womer party!

Regards,

Ray
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

Yeah, no worries Dave. When it all comes down to one 40 minute race a year, things like this are bound to happen. That's why we race...to see the outcome after all the unpredictable things happen, right?
Jennerjahn46

Post by Jennerjahn46 »

Attached are a couple of links to You-Tube videos showing my view of this year's runoffs race. There is a great view of the photo finish as I tried to follow the top three up the hill and over the line.

Congratulations to Rick, Roger and Brandon. All three of you drove great races.

Enjoy the videos.

Chris Jennerjahn

1 of 2 videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJX6cf-U82s

2 of 2 videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQHsBWn7xQ
Mad Dog Racing

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

Quoting Steve.
"The more I run at this place, the more I don't like it for the Runoffs -
Steve, FV80 (off line after I post this)"

After two years of watching the Runoffs on the computer, it seems more and more like NastyCar at Talladega. Everybody waits until 'The Big One' and then if they are still running, go for it. I know, it's one of the hazzards of racing a vee, we travel in packs, but the layout at Road America just seems to bring out the worst in that because the long straightaways seem to keep the pack together even more.

The vees did a few laps once on the two-mile oval at TWS as a 'demonstration run'. And the guys that got lapped in the regional race had no problem hanging onto the draft. Maybe I'm biased, but it does seem that the track layout has a more visable effect on the vee race than most of the others. Even the spec racers seem to break the draft easier than the vees.

Road America is still on my 'bucket list', but I won't be the Sprints or the Runoffs for my first time there. But that's my problem.

And congratulations to the guys at the top. The pic from the SCCA of the finish is my new screen saver at work. At least until the first of the year when I re-retire for about the third time.

Mad Dog
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

[quote="Jennerjahn46"].....
Enjoy the videos.

Chris Jennerjahn
[/quote]

Great stuff - These videos make the track look a lot more fun than I have heard. Still, If you could cut the main straight just after the pits and join the back it might be better........Leave the kink and the run to Canada Corner! :lol:

Now, I was going to say long box right? Or is it a short box and I don't want to know the revs into 5....or Canada.

ChrisZ
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Chris, those videos were fantastic - thanks for posting them.

John
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

Awesome videos!!!!

Mark
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
satterley_sr

Post by satterley_sr »

Looking at Ray's & greg's videos, they both spun in the carousel before I even got there on lap 3 so there was something else that made the track slippery.

Dave Sr.
brian

Post by brian »

This incident makes a great case for bolt on valve covers. Many years ago we had an oval series for vees and bolt on covers were required. Something to think about this winter.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Gdog

Post by Gdog »

The trap speeds have been posted and with more information than in the past .
http://www.scca.com/popup/raceresult.as ... &file=1256
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

That info is NOT from the race. It's one of the qualifying sessions - I think it's Monday's data, but I'd have to go look at my data to be sure.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Gdog

Post by Gdog »

Steve
There are tabs at the bottom for all sessions.