Official FV Discussion: SCCA Runoffs 2010

Matt King

Re: Official FV Discussion: SCCA Runoffs 2010

Post by Matt King »

I'm paddocked about as far from the grid as anyone at the track and even at that it's not five minutes! Actually, the Jennerjahns are across the road and one spot down from me, so they are about 200 feet farther away. Bill Stzynski (sp?) is right across from me, and the Abbotts are close by too. Then on the way to the grid we've got another gaggle of FVs in the west overflow, including Livermore, Maurus, Loughhead, and a couple others. So while we are spread all over, there is plenty of opportunity to socialize. In fact, yesterday when I drove to grid, I noticed that Livermore's car was empty with no one in sight. When I asked him later where he was, he said he wasted too much time BSing and was running late!
P-2 Mark

Post by P-2 Mark »

Good luck to everyone, and as Michael Conrad said each episode on "Hill Street Blue's": Becareful out there!........

Mark
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Notes from people I talked to:
Siebenaler on 3 cylinders with electrical problems. Now fixed.
Loughead had a miss. Hopes he fixed it.
Weisheit went home before it started.
Rader never came.
Scaler and Rice finally here.
Hi 60s today. Hi 80s tomorrow. Showers anytime?
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
CenDiv20

Post by CenDiv20 »

Thanks for the updates guys.... keep them coming. It's killing me sitting at work and going over to my desktop every now and then to "get the latest".

Jim Dziewior
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

problemchild wrote:Notes from people I talked to:
Siebenaler on 3 cylinders with electrical problems. Now fixed.
Loughead had a miss. Hopes he fixed it.
Weisheit went home before it started.
Rader never came.
Scaler and Rice finally here.
Are we to assume that Weisheit will not be racing at all?
Al Craighead

Post by Al Craighead »

Formula Vee - Provisional Qualifying 2 - Top-10 Results

1. Michael Varacins - 2:41.316
2. Brandon Peterson - 2:42.248
3. Rick Shields - 2:42.430
4. Roger Siebenaler - 2:42.677
5. Bob Neumeister - 2:43.285
6. Stevan Davis - 2:43.300
7. Ron Whitson - 2:43.712
8. Chuck McCormick - 2:44.013
9. Dennis Andrade - 2;44.068
10. Brian Jennerjahn - 2:44.143

Full Results Click Here
Al Craighead

Post by Al Craighead »

Formula Vee - Provisional Combined Qualifying - Top-10

1. Michael Varacins - 2:41.316 (2nd)
2. Brandon Peterson - 2:42.248 (2nd)
3. Rick Shields - 2:42.430 (2nd)
4. Roger Siebenaler - 2:42.677 (2nd)
5. Bob Neumeister - 2:43.285 (2nd)
6. Stevan Davis - 2:43.300 (2nd)
7. Ron Whitson - 2:43.712 (2nd)
8. Chuck McCormick - 2:44.013 (2nd)
9. Dennis Andrade - 2:44.068 (2nd)
10. Brian Jennerjahn - 2:44.143 (2nd)

Full Results Click Here
P-2 Mark

Post by P-2 Mark »

Still a difference of 2.8 seconds between first and tenth after Q2 so it may become
a four or five car race?

Mark
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

With the VERY uncooperative egos of SOME of the 2-10 qualifiers, it is very unlikely there will be more than a one car lead pack.

Varicins will pull a small lead going into 5 for the first time and panic will ensue with the second group. All hope of cooperation goes out the window at that time. Everyone knows it over if Mike starts to gap the field. There is also the issue of a large pack holding you back, so you need to get clear of it as soon as possible. Kind of a self-fulfilling negative situation?

Can you think of a strategy to get around this situation?

Brian
Last edited by hardingfv32-1 on September 22nd, 2010, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

FWIW - the fast times (except for Mike) are mostly made in the draft here. The problem is that we have only SIX laps to work with in a session if all is perfect. If you get in a pack, the PACK moves generally in the 2:46 or7 area. It is YOUR JOB to move through that pack in a single lap and it's everyone else's job to keep you from doing it. It's ugly out here and the race is no better ... well, actually, the race is MUCH worse if that's even possible. Backing out to set up a lap is almost impossible since there are so many cars on the track, you'll almost surely find yourself in another pack before the lap is up and you wasted one trying to set it up. A LOT of it comes down to LUCK - sad to say that, but that's the way it is... Amazingly, I went 1.5 seconds faster today and manged to hold my 6th spot on the grid. A couple of guys who were in front of me yesterday are behind me today...

The more I run at this place, the more I don't like it for the Runoffs -
Steve, FV80 (off line after I post this)
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

just got back from womers party, which was great as usual. big thanks to all who cooked and provided food!

todays weather was the best ive ever seen it here for the session. tommorrow is iffy according to forcasts. there were a lot of minor incedents in todays session. a few guys including mccarthy were fixing bent spindles. as steve said in the previous post, it was messy as everyone was trying to position themselves for a great lap, then when they have one going extra risks are taken to finish it.

i never got as good of a lap as i wanted, but hopefully it will be good enough. i agree with steve that this isnt the best place for a formula vee runoffs.

there were a few engine changes going on this afternoon, including myself. hopefully someone else will chime in with more info on who was involved in incedents.

michael.
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

Brian McCarthy got caught up in someone else's accident. He avoided to the outside and just clipped one of the other avoiding cars. Ironically, the two spinning cars didn't get touched by anyone. He went airborn and got a pretty good hit. We fixed it up though and should be good to go for tomorrow, Hopefully it is dry. Dennis Andrade got a great lap around the midway point. I was on the pitwall and I am not exactly sure what happened, but he started the lap in the back of the pack, and when they came around again was about a second in front of the pack.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

hardingfv32-1 wrote:With the VERY uncooperative egos of SOME of the 2-10 qualifiers, it is very unlikely there will be more than a one car lead pack.

Varicins will pull a small lead going into 5 for the first time and panic will ensue with the second group. All hope of cooperation goes out the window at that time. Everyone knows it over if Mike starts to gap the field. There is also the issue of a large pack holding you back, so you need to get clear of it as soon as possible. Kind of a self-fulfilling negative situation?

Can you think of a strategy to get around this situation?

Brian
One of the problems with FV today is there are no teammates. In the old FF days there would be some 2 car teams (like Essex Racing or the Skip Barber Crossle group) who could try and run together. Going back to the Tour de France, I was amazed that the peloton could catch the breakaway riders most of the time. If this was an oval, I think the pack would be much faster; however, the secret seem to be in the turns as much as the straights. I would like to see some segment times for the Carousel because if you don't get the right car leading into that turn, it does not matter how fast the group goes. Exit speed = terminal speed. And that is a lonnnggg run.

You also need good exit out of 14 and 3, but I think the Exit for the Carousel will get you better lap times, and out of 14 gives you better passing opportunities without compromising lap time. Passing into 5, unless you can get it done early, may get you a position but it will kill lap times.

My 2 cents.

ChrisZ
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Loughead still won't run. Changing fuel lines for Thursday.
Seems like everyone qualified in the 20s is changing their engine. Desperation has set in :P :P
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

"if you don't get the right car leading into that turn, it does not matter how fast the group goes"

That is the heart of the issue. It takes a few laps to figure out who should be leading the pack, laps that you do not have at RA. So, not having the time to give everyone a chance at the front everyone assumes, with the help of their ego, that they should be the leader and go about trying to achieve that goal. After all it is what is best for the group, having the fastest car at the front, right?

Of coarse if you are really faster than the pack out of a key turn and gap the pack, they will just draft back up to you and probably pass you at the end of the straight.

Anymore suggestions?

Brian
Al Craighead

Post by Al Craighead »

Formula Vee - Provisional Qualifying 3 - Top-10 Results

1. Brian Jennerjahn - 2:44.785
2. Ed Womer - 2:44.951
3. Rick Shields - 2:45.029
4. Stevan Davis - 2:45.203
5. Roger Siebenaler - 2:45.219
6. Bob Neumeister - 2:45.501
7. Ron Whitson - 2:45.831
8. Bill Johnston - 2:45.833
9. Chris Jennerjahn - 2:46.393
10. Bruce Livermore - 2:46.509

Full Results Click Here
Al Craighead

Post by Al Craighead »

Formula Vee - Provisional Combined Qualifying - Top-10

1. Michael Varacins - 2:41.316 (2nd)
2. Brandon Peterson - 2:42.248 (2nd)
3. Rick Shields - 2:42.430 (2nd)
4. Roger Siebenaler - 2:42.677 (2nd)
5. Bob Neumeister - 2:43.285 (2nd)
6. Stevan Davis - 2:43.300 (2nd)
7. Ron Whitson - 2:43.712 (2nd)
8. Chuck McCormick - 2:44.013 (2nd)
9. Dennis Andrade - 2:44.068 (2nd)
10. Brian Jennerjahn - 2:44.143 (2nd)

Full Results Click Here
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

I'm gonna guess the weather wasn't great today?
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

it was very windy for todays session. that combined with higher temps and humidity created a slow track. i was told somone broke a head stud and put downsome oil, but i wasnt out there long enough to see it.

now we all sit and wait for 2 days.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Weather was gorgious .... just track was slow. Most people 2 secs per lap slower.

Two days to watch racing!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

What's the over/under for green flag laps tomorrow?

I think we got lucky last year, and I am predicting 7. :-)

I hope to watch a clean and exciting race tomorrow, but after witnessing qualifying, not counting on it.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

At least a car in a sand trap does not mean an automatic full coarse. Saw a sand extraction Sat with only a local yellow. Very brave crew considering the hyper competitiveness of most drivers at the Runoffs. Maybe after a long week the tow crew need a little risky behavior to keep on their toes.

This is the kind of race where you should make a decision before the race about how much risk you are going to take and then STICK to the plan no matter what. Chances are pretty good that everyone will be racing for second. Normally how important is second place in the scheme of things? Something you should decide before you race.

Brian
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

40 degrees in Sheboygan at 6.30 am. Cold and crisp! Good racing weather!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Al Craighead

Post by Al Craighead »

Formula Vee - Provisional Race - Top-10 Results

1. Rick Shields
2. Roger Siebenaler +.017
3. Brandon Peterson +.065
4. Chris Jennerjahn +0.132
5. Bob Neumeister +0.788
6. Stevan Davis +1.503
7. Ron Whitson +3.097
8. Ed Womer +4.614
9. Dennis Andrade +4.643
10. Gary Blanarik +5.040

Full Results Click Here
Al Craighead

Post by Al Craighead »

Formula Vee Race Notes

- Wow what a race!

- The start was initially delayed due to a significant crash and track damage in the race prior at Road America.

- When the race started, the field got away cleanly, with the defending National Champion Michael Varacins holding the lead over former champions Roger Siebenaler and Steven Davis, who both got great jumps to move up to second and third.

- As expected, opening laps featured some great dicing for positions among the top-four of Siebenaler, Varacins, Davis and Rick Shields.

- Multiple incidents a few laps in witnessed several cars off-course exiting Hurry Downs and in the Carousel, resulting in oil on course.

- Before the full-course caution shown, the leaders encountered oil, resulting in three off the four sliding off-course. Two continued, but Varacins spun, falling back to 19th.

- The late restart featured the top-10 running virtually nose-to-tail, with plenty of changing of positions.

- Varacins, made the most of the battles up front and a very fast car to not only rejoin the lead 10-car pack, but work his way up to sixth. His charge for a second straight title ended however with contact in Canada corner.

- Both Siebenaler and Shields were able to briefly build multi-car gaps on the lead pack, but when the last lap commenced, it was a four-car fight for the win.

- Shields, Siebenaler, Peterson and Chris Jennerjahn were all in position to score the win exiting the final turn and commencing the uphill drag race to the checkered flag.

- In a three-wide photo finish, Shields scored the win over Siebenaler and Peterson , who did not know it was the last lap and gave Shields a push to the stripe.

- It was the first National Championship title for Shields and the VDF chassis.