Susie Bonneau Memorial at Road America

Bill_Bonow

Susie Bonneau Memorial at Road America

Post by Bill_Bonow »

July 24th & 25th Milwaukee Region will host the only SCCA Regional at Road America this year. There will be a small armada of FST's attending as this is one of the Hoosier Tire US Formula First Championship Series events and was curious if anyone would be attending? Being that next year it could be possible that FST would be allowed to run at National events mixed in with FV, it would be great to see a few National FV guys come up to this race and see how the cars race together. Plus, being the last opportunity at RA before the Runoffs, some cheap track time.

Entry online is here: http://www.motorsportreg.com

And here for snail mail: http://www.cendiv-scca.org/03racing/01n ... 20Post.pdf

Hope to see you at Road America
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"
Terry Abbott

Re: Susie Bonneau Memorial at Road America

Post by Terry Abbott »

[quote][/quote]Being that next year it could be possible that FST would be allowed to run at National events mixed in with FV,

Just curious Bill..... I thought you never wanted the Fst. going to National?

Terry
Terry Abbott
2- Vector FV's
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Terry,

You are correct and we are not (going National). Reading through the July Fastrack, you'll find this passage:

Combined National/Regional Event

Discussion: Want to combine Regional and National on track in same sessions, for Practice, Qual and Racing. Need specific exceptions to GCR to allow this request (waiver to GCR language about separate Reg/Nat Qual and Race). Club Racing concern: Sessions must meet National event specs.

Motion:
to accept as presented in BoD agenda allowing concurrent Regional and National event. Specifically waiver for Colorado (Sept 4-5) and Utah (Aug 14-15), two events max, as pilot with caveat that sessions must meet National racing time specs. Club Racing to specify GCR sections that require waiver. Kephart/Langlotz - Approved All

Pilot Program for combining Regional and National Events

GCR Waiver needed for 3.1.1.B.4.

Rationale for approval from BOD.The BOD was approached by the leadership of Colorado Region for a waiver for Colorado and Utah Regions to each hold one-time trial events that combine a Regional and National event in a manner that allows event sessions and groupings to include both Regional and National drivers and classes. If successful, the experience gained from these trial events may result in a formal request to the CRB for rules changes to support giving our regions this flexibility going forward. The BOD applauds the creativity of Colorado Region in presenting a well thought out recommendation and believes these pilot events will provide important data for our regions and our events going forward

What this does (if approved) is allows Regional classes to be invited by the race host region to National events and directly mixed in with National race groups. Many have seen "restricted regionals" that eat up National track time. This will eliminate that, but will put more class mixes together. I like it, for FST its the best of both worlds.
Bill Bonow
Terry Abbott

Post by Terry Abbott »

AHHH i see what your saying I DID READ THAT AS WELL....

UMM something similar to what there doing for the gingerman Nat.in 2 weeks where the Nat. guys have practice and the reg. guys have qual. in the same session. Good idea? hmmm hey why dont you come to it and We can use you as a tow...LOL

Terry
Terry Abbott
2- Vector FV's
CenDiv20

Post by CenDiv20 »

Bill, why do you not want First to go National? Are your plans for the class to stay as a Regional Series?
Last edited by CenDiv20 on July 2nd, 2010, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dd46637

Post by dd46637 »

Terry,
I will be there, you are welcome to a tow off me if you can keep up. 8)

Dave Dawson FST88
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

So what is the point of a national license then? If you're going to put both national and regional sessions together for racing, then why have two different licenses? What about the entry fee? If we're on the same track, with the same cars, and the same competition, will the reg entry fee be lower?

What about novices? They can run regional groups. Will they be on the track too?

I am not a fan of that.

I wouldn't mind allowing Regional CLASSES onto the track, provided the drivers had a NATIONAL LICENSE.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Stephen,
In all cases that I'm aware of, the regional/national weekends under discussion would have 2 "sessions" before the races. The first would be a qualifier for regional racers and a practice for National drivers. The second session would be a qualifier for national drivers only. There would then be a race for regional drivers only and then (generally the next day) there would be national races and the regional guys could have gone home the night before. This has been standard practice for years at Reg/Nat events. I think the only issue is that the regions would LIKE for that first session to be a qualifier for national racers as well, which (currently) requires a waiver from national. They're just trying to eliminate the waiver requirement, I think.

Maybe I'm wrong on this? If so, someone please clue ME in too.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Steve,

This is a new deal. Read through the Fastrack, the BOD has approved two National events (Colorado and Utah Regions) to include regional classes in the National practice, qualifying and race group. The idea of this pilot program being to eliminate the extra restricted regional groups at national events (which you noted have been going on for a while) and chewing up National track time. Here is where I think this is going, "If successful, the experience gained from these trial events may result in a formal request to the CRB for rules changes to support giving our regions this flexibility going forward." If these Colorado and Utah events work out, my bet is that regional classes mixed in at Nationals will be in all of our futures.

I am certain that these events will require everyone to hold a National license, more $ for SCCA. Besides, holding a National license means absolutly nothing about talent or driving safely.

Jim,

My comments about FST not going National are based on the results of classes like SM going National. SM at regional level, $10k car and 50+ racing at Regional events. SM goes National, $30K+ cars and maybe 20 racing at National events. Besides, the likelyhood that SCCA would ever allow two air cooled VW based junior open wheel classes at the National level is doubtful. If this "combo" program goes through, we'll be happy as a clam. We'll get invited to Nationals and we keep our regional status.
Bill Bonow
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

Bill_Bonow wrote:July 24th & 25th Milwaukee Region will host the only SCCA Regional at Road America this year.
Chicago region is also hosting a double regional at RA two weeks later, Aug. 7-8.
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Thanks Matt,

That is an addition (looks like 3/10/10) that wasn't in the original Cen Div schedule. Glad to see they didn't kill off both RA regionals. I'm partial to Milwaukee region, they always treat us (FST) very well. I don't think you'll see many FST's at that Chicago Regional on August 7 & 8
Bill Bonow