WDCR adopts race lap penalties for 2010

FV94

WDCR adopts race lap penalties for 2010

Post by FV94 »

The competition committee of the WDCR voted, at their Thur 11/3 meeting, to reduce the number of race laps (in my words institute a race lap penalty) for any race group having fewer than 18 cars turning a wheel on track in qualifying. The regular number of race laps was set at 18 for 2010, but for groups with less than 18 cars going out in qualifying, the number of race laps will be the number of actual cars, down to a minimum of 12 laps, i.e. 14 cars qualify, then their race will be 14 laps, not the regular 18.
Further, the comp comte voted that, even if a group gets fewer than the regular 18 laps, there will be no reduction in entry fee. Thus for groups with less than 18 cars the drivers will still be charged a full entry fee.
This clearly impacts the FV race group, as well as the big formula/sports racing group, and the SRF race group.
If this program were applied in 2009, then the FV group would have had 4 of its 7 races shorten; the big formula/sports group would have had 5 of its 7 races shortened, and the SRF group would have had 4 of its 7 races shortened.
This is clearly an attack on the formula/sports racing classes.
Any ideas on what to do about this?
Bob Tupper
CitationFV21

Re: WDCR adopts race lap penalties for 2010

Post by CitationFV21 »

Seems to me to be a self fulfillng rule - chase everyone away and eventually you will have 8 x 1 lap races :lol:

Would groups form associations to get their lap count up? Could Spec Racer join with FV to get a 18 lap race?

What about FP or one of the other small classes that gets lumped together with other larger classes?

BTW - for a long time FV used to run with DSR and F and G prod as they were about the same speed and less subscribed classes.

Now DSR is too fast and no mixing open wheel and closed wheel production cars - except in vintage.

ChrisZ
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Hmm, penalize the people who show up. Now, that's a concept! What they should do is give the smaller numbered groups more points to penalize the people who didn't come. That might have more of an effect! But, both are ridiculous. We don't even know who we're going to be grouped with at times! Or, we'll agree to be grouped with another class just to get to race 18 laps and then deal with the added danger. But, SCCA puts safety above all else, and they're never want to have us agree to something like that for that reason, right?!

I would expect that people are going to as many events as we can possibly go to, based on having too many other commitments, finances, bad economic times, etc. I think the result of this would be obvious. Chris, you're right, a self fulfilling prophecy. Many people would simply quit racing in the series. This is hardly what they want - raises everyone's entry fees. Some would switch classes, but most won't. People have too much tied up in their current class, and would be ticked off.

It also chases people away who might come from other regions. I'd hate to drive far to a different region only to find that they race only a handful of laps if the regulars don't come.

Clearly there were no racers included in that vote, or they were hopelessly outnumbered.

I guess the question is why did they really vote this in? Did WDCR have not enough time to get every class running 18 laps last year?

It would be interesting to hear the minutes. How long has this been brewing?

Sorry for rambling!
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

What's that saying?

Ah yes, I remember: "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

They seem to forget who the (paying) customers are...
Last edited by cendiv37 on December 7th, 2009, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
cendiv37
Caracal99

Post by Caracal99 »

[b]Bob,

John P. makes a good point.......

What did they give for the reason that made such a change in policy necessary????

Has the BOD of WDCR approved this???

Paul[/b]
remmers

Post by remmers »

ludicrous! this most certainly is no way to get higher class subscriptions!
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Somebody in Topeka has to issue every race organizer their permit(s).

I would suggest that lobbying to whomever issues permits would be appropriate.

While some in WDC would love to drive formula cars to other racing organizations, I would like to think that most in SCCA would not be supportive. This ongoing attack towards the formula classes needs to be more than just a local issue.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
wroché29

Post by wroché29 »

If it's true that some WDCR influential-types are discouraging participation by formula cars, and I don't know if it is true... then wouldn't members of the WDC region that are involved in open wheel racing want to consider a region of record change?
Bill Roché
Citation XTC41
Team FootShoot partner
dd46637

Post by dd46637 »

I don't live in the DC area and therefore this won't affect me.
That said,those that are affected need to band together and make themselves heard.
This is obviously politically driven and changing your region is not going to make your tow to other race tracks any shorter when DC runs all the formula cars out of the area.

I don't know how long Summit Point is but if you are at a national the minimum distance is 45 miles. Unfortunatly the GCR does not specify how long a regional race has to be. IIRC the usual standard is 35-40 miles in CENDIV and GL.

I can see why other sanctioning bodies are getting customers in the north east and mid atlantic areas.

I would suggest a group of drivers get together and approach the DC region with their concerns. If as I suspect you will get blown off I would then contact Jeff Dahnert in Topeka and ask for some help.

Dave Dawson