Trans Am Weekend at BlueGrass Motorsports Park

SR Racing

Trans Am Weekend at BlueGrass Motorsports Park

Post by SR Racing »

Here is an idea for FV / FST Exposure:

Blue Grass Motor sports park just called me and they had a venue cancel from their scheduled TransAm Race on Sept 4-6. The track scheduler thinks that FV-FST's put on a great event and they would like us there... Lots of exposure, we can hand out flyers, etc. We don't get an oportunity like this very often.. We have to provide our own tech and event scheduler person(s). The down side (if you want to call it that) is that we need to have 25 Cars there.

They also don't want to screw the Ohio Region who is putting on a Sept 12/13 Regional there also. So we would like not to simply move cars over from the Regional to this event. If you have an interest please let us know ASAP. This is still tentative. At this point it looks like entry fees will be in the $200+ area !
spdunlap

Re: Trans Am Weekend at BlueGrass Motorsports Park

Post by spdunlap »

We can bring a Vee and a First. Do you need 25 in each class or 25 total?
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

25 Total
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

I am a little disappointed. I have posted the info on a possible invite to the TransAm event looking for interest. I posted here, on Apex, and the FST forums. I have mentioned it to most everyone I have talked to.

I have received ZERO input from the Formula Vee guys. ALL positive input has come from FST, and CF people. (It appears that as many as 8+ FSTs would be interested and several Fords.)

Here is a quote from the FV committee :

"Last month we asked for suggestions on how to increase awareness of open wheel racing and several responses were received. Anna and Ray Qualls posted a letter to the general membership on the Interchange , followed by a questionnaire. They received 52 responses- all positive. A five year plan has now been presented to all and it may be viewed in the General Section of the Interchange. It again asks for your opinion in the form of a survey. It is hoped that more than 52 reply to this latest effort on their part."

A spectator semi pro TransAm event would sure seem to be a great place to get increased awareness, hand out info and generally expose entry level Formula car racing to people. If no one in FV has any interest in this I can't imagine how any effort to create a DVD, web site, organization, 5 year plan etc. is going to pan out. Maybe my expectations were too high. I certainly understand that the economy has affected some people, but thought this oportunity was a good one.
Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

FRCCA may be the way to go, they are looking at filling this slot and they want FV & FST cars, see post below.
fv22

Post by fv22 »

I've got an FV and want to go, but being a Realtor cannot possibly plan that far ahead these days.
rgr1racing

Post by rgr1racing »

Jim-

Count me in

Rick Ruckman
#0 FV Mysterian
rgr1racing
Nettie WV 26681
Cooper 64

Post by Cooper 64 »

The Coopers are in but my wife hopefully will be adding a New Baby to the mix the month before. I hope to still get out of the house. That may be the only peace and quite I get for a while. It is only 45mins from the house. I have to go.
Billy Cooper #64
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the FRCCA will fill the spot (we of course can participate.)

Following the threads here regarding promoting the class, I thought that a Pro venue invite to a spectator event at a new track with a lot of totally new visibilty would excite those that wanted to build FV exposure. I realize the conflicts with other tracks, etc. But here was an opportunity to have a unique group and sessions where we could showcase the cars and hand out literature etc.
flat tappet

Post by flat tappet »

Jim...Would love to go but it is 1700mi roundtrip from my house in Southern VT! :mrgreen:
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

SR Racing wrote:Thanks for the replies. It looks like the FRCCA will fill the spot (we of course can participate.)

Following the threads here regarding promoting the class, I thought that a Pro venue invite to a spectator event at a new track with a lot of totally new visibilty would excite those that wanted to build FV exposure. I realize the conflicts with other tracks, etc. But here was an opportunity to have a unique group and sessions where we could showcase the cars and hand out literature etc.
If this deal is similar to most other track sharing arrangements, the track promoter usually expects an outside group to provide insurance, sanctioning, tech, registration, scoring, grid personnel, etc. I doubt the track staff was going to provide all of that for a random group of 20-25 cars that wanted to show up. Usually they are looking for an outside group to write a check to buy a block of track time and essentially run their own self-contained event within an event. If FRCCA is controlling that track time block, there is no reason FST and FVs cannot jump at the opportunity to run with FRCCA. It looks like a great opportunity for that club to get some exposure in the midwest.
John Heckman

Post by John Heckman »

Entry Froms should be available next week.
John Heckman
Pres. FRCCA
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Matt King wrote: If this deal is similar to most other track sharing arrangements, the track promoter usually expects an outside group to provide insurance, sanctioning, tech, registration, scoring, grid personnel, etc. I doubt the track staff was going to provide all of that for a random group of 20-25 cars that wanted to show up. Usually they are looking for an outside group to write a check to buy a block of track time and essentially run their own self-contained event within an event. If FRCCA is controlling that track time block, there is no reason FST and FVs cannot jump at the opportunity to run with FRCCA. It looks like a great opportunity for that club to get some exposure in the midwest.
Of course. Since TransAm is an SCCA sanctioned event we could have fallen under that unbrella for insurance purposes. The only thing we had to provide was our event cordination and our tech. They handle scoring, grids, corners etc.
As I said, we can run with FRCCA. My only point was the apparent lack of interest from a class that is supposedly trying to showcase itself.
MDURKEE

Post by MDURKEE »

This sounds very exciting. I would go but I'm planning on the regional there the 12th and 13th. Just don't think I can do two week-ends in a row, but I will talk to the wife.. Am I living in a cave???? I have never heard of this FRCCA. Are the spec's of an SCCA FV compatible?? or are they running dual carbs,, lightend everything etc...

Matthew
John Heckman

Post by John Heckman »

Matthew,
Not surprised you haven't heard of us before. We have been predominently in the NE and Mid-Atlantic regions of the country. I have just taken over the club after it's founder retired. I am taking it in some new directions both geographically and in some ways presentation wise.
I am looking to expand the FRCCA into the Mid-West and the South East over the next several years. The FRCCA has had a stigma tied to it because it has it's own Ford based spec classes besides the regular SCCA ruled and accepted classes.
Anyone who has an SCCA legal car will be legal for the same class in the FRCCA.
Where we differ from the SCCA is that we are trying to cater to the formula car crowd and not the fendered cars. We are our own sanctioning body. This allows us to put independant races on as well as keep the flexibility of being able to team up with other organizations and clubs for tracks. We are not competing with the SCCA, and have the greatest respect for them understanding what it trakes to put races together and on.
Basically I thinkk I answered your question but I want to be sure.
IF A CAR IS LAGAL FOR AN SCCA FORMULA CAR CLASS IT IS LEGAL FOR THE SAME CLASS IN THE FRCCA. We will be using the GCR for the Blue Grass event for all SCCA classes.
Thanks,
John Heckman
if you have any questions call or email
570-669-9589
frcca@ptd.net
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

I stole this quote from the Apex forum (John Heckman) . Good news for those planning on attending the BG TransAm race in a Vee or FST.

"FRCCA accepts SCCA rules, logs and license.
Not worried about Trans - Am They have no jurisdicdiction as far as I am understanding with what we are doing. You will all be "outlaws" for the weekend Welcome to the West.
We often have SCCA cars and classes run in the FRCCA. All classes other than the FRCCA Spec class that may be there will be SCCA rules. I know CFC isn't a national class so I am hoping that 1995 and older is a good cut off.

All also remember that ANYTHING with a FORD behind the driver will run completely seperately from anything with a VW behind it (there is an FRCCA club spec class car that will be different) but as far as FV F FIRST are concerned your races are your own NO FORDS. No cutting short because of a lapping situation by a ford powered car.

Thanks,
John "
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

I'm a newbie so I can't commit jsut yet, but I might be interested. But first - where is BlueGrass Motorsports Park? (I assume KY - but where) Is there a link to the event or the track? Will a Regional Lic suffice or will a National License be required?

Thanks
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

It's outside Cinci, just over 400 miles from here in Milwaukee. I'm on the fence too, mainly because of the distance. I've committed myself to staying within a 100-mile radius of home this season, but that looks like it could be an interesting event.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

fv31

Post by fv31 »

i mulled the issue and am considering running. this will be dictated by how the season goes of course. i emailed frcca with questions and received no reply.

do we have to join frcca? i see they are accepting our license but i don't understand if we have to join or not. who has the insurance for this event? if we're not members of frcca does the insurance still cover us? what's the structure of the event? how about the track and staying at the track?

bill
fv31
dd46637

Post by dd46637 »

It is my understanding that you do not have to join FRCCA.
I am pretty sure that the SCCA insurance will be in effect as it is an scca pro race (Trans Am) weekend.
And I do believe camping is allowed at the track.

Also the track is going to allow competitors to leave their trailers there if they are planning to return and run the double regional the next weekend.

Dave
fv22

Post by fv22 »

Have no idea about the insurance, better get that info straight from someone at FRCCA. I raced with them once or twice many years ago at Bridgehampton and found them to be very professional and punctual. They gave alot for the money. If they are still running like that I'm sure it will be a great event.
Bob
FV22
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

According to a posting on Apexspeed by Eric from SCCA Enterprises, FRCCA is no longer part of this event, but supposedly has found a "better" date. Can anybody confirm that? Of course, this could all be moot, as I understand the track is not really built yet. NASA just cancelled it's June race, as have several other early events. Hopefully it will be done by Labor Day, but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for the first event if it's not ready for primetime.
Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

I was at FRCCA events this weekend and they do still have this event and are finalizing details. John Heckman, president has this project in the works and as of Sunday morning at the Drivers meeting it is a go!
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

Not looking too good for this event:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34859