elston36

June Sprints

Post by elston36 »

The Sprints start friday. Here's the quick rundown:

464 entries so far...

FV is group 9, running with the 500's.
Only 16 Vees !
27 500's

The fun group for the weekend may well be the SRF's... 87 cars registered !

The weather looks like 80 degrees or so, with a chance of showers friday and maybe saturday.

I'll be in Race Control... Looks like fun !

Donald
Fear is temporary... Regret is forever.
Erik Oseth

Re: June Sprints

Post by Erik Oseth »

So..... what happened? Top 5 anyone?

E
Brian Holtz

Post by Brian Holtz »

Congratulations to Brian McCarthy!!

Here is the story on scca.com. There is a link to the results.

http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=1&news=3379

Brian
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

This was probably the most difficult race I have ever driven in due to the strange weather that kicked in on the pace lap. It started to rain, but only in some corners. Plus the track surface was hot from the warm sun all day, so in the sunny area's the track stayed a little drier then the shaded areas. On the second lap I was leading going into turn 12, but I was getting a lot more rain drops on my visor, and I could see the track surface was shiny. I was leading a train of cars on the far inside, and Brad was leading a train of cars on the far outside. We approached a now wet turn 12 in two lines. Brad and the outside line backed off, and when I went to brake, I was hit from behind. I was able to gather it up and keep it on the track, but in my mirrors I could see Brad and Bruce spinning into the gravel.

The rest of the race was a matter of keeping it on the track, as the rain came and went in different corners at different times. Brain and Chris J. were able to work together and run me down, although with about 2 laps to go Chris made a mistake and it became a race between Brian and I.

On the last lap Brian passed me going into 1, and I was content to stay there until the run up the hill for the finish. What would have been a photo finish was nixed as I pulled out to try to draft by Brian going up the hill, and I was met by a nice yellow flag as a wrecker was on the track between the hill and the S/F line to attend to a crashed F500. An official approached me in impound and stated they know that they screwed up the finish, but said they had no choice.

So congrats to Brian! He showed his experience driving well in the conditions and he certainly had a fast car. It's too bad the incident happened on the second lap, as I think it could have been a great race for Brad, Brian, Bruce and I. Brad had to be the most dissapointed as he did a gearbox change earlier in the day only to be taken out on the second lap.

Michael Varacins
FV #65
Kartgraphix

Post by Kartgraphix »

I can tell you what it all looked like from the other end, but you wouldn't be able to read it from the tears in your eyes (some from sympathy, most from laughter.)

I could not have screwed this pooch any worse had I actually tried, wearing a clown suit with big floppy shoes. Wasted the test session Friday on brake and tire break-in to save a few bucks (never again). No good laps there. Saturday Q1 rained us off the track before being able to get my head into the game - no matter, the car felt like poo (some idiot failed to re-set the droop rod when re-installing the trans - did you know that positive droop camber makes the car feel sorta funny?) Sunday qualifier we were ready, everything set up, the new tires on the car... but had some form of short that blew two fuses and killed the battery to 4.3 volts. First call, and we had no start, no dash. Thrashed to put in the spare battery (10.5 volts left from last season) push started it to get in two whole laps in Q2, not so pretty on cold tires, no dash display, and a really bad attitude about then. The big shoes made working the pedals sort of hard, and the red rubber nose honked whenever I turned my head...

Entered the race in the rear, saw rain on the pace lap, so decided to execute the smart (not) strategy of playing safe and just finish what I assumed would be a wash out before the finish, with the potetial of leaving at least a few cars off the track - giving me am okay finish with no wrecks from dodging spinning cars or being hit. Didn't quite pan out, as the rain never came, and in the Lazer I was unable to do a ny respectable rain dance. By then, since I had been lagging so much, I was way way off the pace with zero hope to do more than crash trying to better my personal best ona really sick track... so I decided to execute plan B, complete 1/2 the distance on all four wheels, load the car, and sneak out for a few tall ones and a cry. Dig this - Had it rained before the start we were hosed anyway, as one of our antique rain tires leaks 10 pounds of air in 11 minutes, right through a dry rotted sidewall. In other words, we had a back up screw up sitting in the trailer! Now THAT is planning ahead.

Unfortunately, this will be a race weekend I will remember for some time.

Congrats to Brian, Micheal, and the others. They ran some respectable numbers on a track that was really strange. Sorry I was unable to attend...
Kevin Willmorth
Cen Div FV79
cendiv37

June Sprints: mea culpa

Post by cendiv37 »

Though not explicitly accused (thank you Mike), I plead guilty: a bit over aggressive considering the weather...

It was a VERY stressful race as long as it lasted (competitively) for me. There was no split start so the Vees were immediately negotiating through a slalom course of slow F500's that were not at all happy about the liquid sunshine which came on as we started the pace lap. Lots of F500's off or obstructing the track as well in the early laps.

Mike led early, I followed with Brad quickly filling my mirrors, up from 5th on the grid. Bill Styczynski followed and then a small gap back to Brian M. We made it through 2 laps and well into the 3rd, Mike, Brad and I swapping positions in the draft. On lap 3 Mike led into 8 but went off wide, but quickly collected it and re-entered at speed between Brad (now leading) and myself. Bill continued to observe the action from a close 4th. We got through the carousel and kink fine, and Mike pulled out to draft by Brad on the right. I followed and was just by Brad as we passed the second left bend before 12. I backed off and prepared to brake for 12 but was still too close when Mike braked earlier than I anticipated. We made hard contact just before the 3 brake marker. Mike managed to keep it mostly straight under braking and I managed to as well, barely. As I turned in still closely following Mike, I pinched it off a bit too tight near the apex and spun into Brad's path. I think I was "feeling" that Brad needed room to the outside and just asked a bit too much of the car, possibly while still lightly on the brakes.

As Mike stated, on a dry track, it would have been a real shootout with at least 4 cars showing plenty of speed during the weekend. Even with the weather it could have turned out well but for my mistake. The weather threw us all a curve, and I didn't manage it, nearly taking out Mike and then taking Brad with me when I spun. Bill S. had to take avoidance and was forced to drop back as well. I considered pitting but continued (thus spoiling Kevin's strategy :P ) after they picked me up out of the kitty litter and deposited me back on the asphalt. I believe Brad was similarly pulled from the trap, but chose to pit, possibly with some damage.

My apologies to Brad, Bill and Mike and my congratulations to Brian on his win and to everyone else for staying out of trouble on an unpredictable track.
Last edited by cendiv37 on June 25th, 2008, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
cendiv37
CenDiv20

Post by CenDiv20 »

That was one of the more stressfull races I have been in awhile, but I was happy with our results. It just makes everyone a better driver, hopefully the CAT will be sunny and dry!

See you all back there.
brian

Post by brian »

Ah yes, old age and wisdom. It doesn't hurt to have great luck for a change either. Mike was right about being a very challenging race. I decided to lay back and watch for a few laps and it really paid off. Thanks to Michael and Cris for racing me clean. Now it's off to Heartland. If you have never been to the Sprints, please do yourself a favor and run there. Every year the Chicago region puts on one the best events I have ever run. Sponsors, fans, great track and an entry fee of $300! What else can you ask for? Next year will be a barn burner.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.