Bill Scott Formula Car Series

boboco

Bill Scott Formula Car Series

Post by boboco »

The BSFCS had its first event this weekend. See the attachment for the schedule.
Copied below are a couple of reports on how it was.

Hey guys,

You really missed it!

I ran yesterday (Saturday) on the Shenandoah circuit as part of the BSFCS. They ran it clockwise. Very interesting course, lots of corners--18---busy most of the time, very challenging.
It was a blast!

Three practice sessions and an 18 (I think) lap race in the morning, then two more practice sessions and another race (20 laps) in the afternoon. We were running in the low 1:40's so that's lots of track time.

McLellan and I were there to run the series. McMahon, Erik O., and Jim O. (Steve O. was there helping) were there just to practice (which was free!) to shake down there cars after having mechanical problems in recent races.

Erik decided to run the morning race so there were 3 Vees. Finishing order Oseth, O'C., and McL.

The second race was just McL. and I. I had a great time pushing the lead FF around the track (except on the straights). He waved me by at some point and seemed to disappear (I thought he had a mechanical problem) but not too much later there he was again. He could catch me but he couldn't get away. Turns out the FF was being driven by a 14 year old!!! He did a great job. Very clean and controlled (if a bit slow in the turns).

I believe Jim, Erik, and Harry are all going to be back today to run the race. Should be interesting.

This whole event is reminiscent of the old days, that's my old days, the pits were not crowded, no hassles, lots of track time and races. In fact, it felt like a practice day, hardly time to fuel the car before going out again.

Ed Impink came up to spectate and Bill Scott cruised thru the paddock in his golf cart. Again, more like the old days. Did I mention the weather was perfect?

Anyway, I hope more of you will consider coming out for the next event. $195 covers both days. Great value. The next event will be July 12-13.

Thanks to Jens for making this happen and to A.J. and the FRCCA guys for allowing us to run with them. They've got a great group.

Bob O'C.

Bob,

You really missed a great day of racing on Sunday.

We had 4 Vees on Sunday and a lot more people with the Drifters. In the 18 lap afternoon race race Eric finished first with Jim second. Harry drop out with a few laps to go so I got third.

I got two plaques for my second and third place race finishes and a big first place trophy for the weekend.

I might not have been fast, but I finished all the races so I'm in the lead for the Bob Scott Formula Car Series Vee Championship.

You are right about it being a great value and a good time! In July I think they're running CCW.

Doug McLellan
Erik Oseth

Re: Bill Scott Formula Car Series

Post by Erik Oseth »

I had a great time this weekend the Shenandoah is very challenging and technical much harder to master that Summit Point an every bit as fun in a Vee.The people were all friendly an we got more track time than I wanted to put on my motor.Jens an AJ made this a great event an I cant wait till it goes over to the main track as I will be there for sure.If more Vees showed up this would put the MARRS Series to shame as it made me feel welcome an what do ya know you can leave with a trophy not a sticker.

I really think all of the local vee guys should make a effort to run this series .It is way more cost effective to run dollar for mile and no tin top cars to hog up track time and dump oil on the track( altho the drifters did a bit of that).No spec miatas plenty of space to paddock and real trophy girls I have not seen that since I was about 5 watching my father race.Oh... and I forgot to add Jens provided dinner an drinks for everyone served by the girls on sat an sun.

1st class an fun

Erik Oseth
Captain

Re: Bill Scott Formula Car Series

Post by Captain »

Wow, looks like I missed some fun.

I was on the Jefferson track running time trials with the PA Hill climb folks. They had there best Vee turn out, 7 cars. Looks like I will have to check out this other series.

Jim