15 - Dan Grace 1:28.266
16 - Bob O'Connor 1:28425.
17 - Jim Adelberg 1:28.741
Bob Tupper
FV94

Re: Summit Point National

Post by FV94 »

FYI -
This is my race report, but to be honest, I was so busy making sure I had the lap count right (so I wouldn't give Glenn the wrong signal on the number of laps remaining) that I wasn't keeping good track of all the race details.
So anyone that was there racing or spectating feel free to correct any mistakes in my report, or add more details.
Anyway, it was a great race with lots of action.
We left before the final result sheets were issued so I can't list all positions and times.
I heard that there were two 25.9 times and two 26 flats for fast race lap times.
The sheets were long delayed because tech decided to check legality of intake manifolds.
FV was race group 1, but the top 3 finishers were still in impound while group 3 was racing on track.
Unofficially, as I saw it,the top 5 finishers on track were Jeremy, Kearney, Siebenaler, Shields and Womer.
Jeremy, Kearney and Siebenaler were three wide in a photo finish with Jeremy declared the winner. I am not sure whether Kearney or Siebenaler was 2nd.
As I said, it was quite a race.
At the end of the 1st lap, Kearney, Jim Oseth (up from 6th), and Glenn Tupper, made up a lead group that already had a gap over a 2nd group of Womer, Siebenaler (up from 10th), Jeremy, and Shields.
Dale Rader dropped back , tangled with Ray Carmody, and was in the pits briefly, putting him way back.
The lead group of Kearney, Jim Oseth, and G. Tupper stayed clear of the 2nd group for a couple of laps, and I think Jim Oseth officially led some laps.
Then Jim Oseth dropped back (don't know why), leaving Kearney and G. Tupper still running clear of that 2nd group. Oseth later came into the pits and retired.
Then Jim Adlelberg was involved in a big accident with another vee and a FF (he is OK, but his car is badly damaged) that brought out the safety car.
Since FF was in the race group, the field was quite strung out and it took a couple of laps to get everyone together, as well as clear away the 3 cars involved.
On the restart, Kearney, G. Tupper, and Siebenaler broke away from the next group of Womer, Jeremy, and Shields.
All three led at one time or another, but still managed to stay clear of the 2nd group.
Later in the race G. Tupper spun in turn 6a, maybe when in the lead. It at least delayed Kearney and Siebenaler so that Jeremy and Shields caught up, with Ed Womer just a little bit back.
That set up a scramble over the last few laps to the finish.
Hopefully someone who has a result sheet will post a complete listing of the positions and times.
Bob Tupper
rcarmody

Post by rcarmody »

Hey Bob Thanks for the report. Dale and I never tangled. At the start I got hit from behind going into one and spun taking Dave Sacler with me. I got going again saw the big wreck wow it did not look good. I was surprised it took so long for the pace car to come because the car was in the middle of the race track. Caught up behind pace car and then when we went green again had a great fight with Rick, Ed ,Jeremy ,until got a right front flat. Guys if you get a chance try and make a race at summit point the surface is great and very fast. We had a lot of fun this weekend thanks to every one who put on the event. congrats to Jeremy.

Ray C
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Congrats to Jeremy for the win!

The reason Jim Oseth dropped back was I had a run on him going into 9 and thought I would be far enough along side him he would see me but didn't and turned into me and we hit with no damage to me and just marks on Jim's bodywork from my tire.

I haven't looked at the tape yet but it was a pretty interesting race, I only wish my motor was working better.

Ed
brian

Post by brian »

Does anyone know what the manifold issue was or were the tech folks just fishing?
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV94

Post by FV94 »

Re manifold - appeared that tech was just fishing - checking OD of tubing.
Bob Tupper
FV94

Post by FV94 »

Here are results from a copy of the provisional sheet.

1 - Grenier 1:25.974
2 - Kearney 1:26.375
3 - Siebenaler 1:25.921
4 - Shields 1:25.938
5 - Womer 1:26.755
6 - Curtis 1:27.461
7 - Qualls 1:28.405
8 - Schiff 1:27.911
9 - Scaler 1:28.158
10 - Rader 1:28.880
11 - O'Connor 1:28.212
12 - G. Tupper 1:26.014 nr (not running} finisher 19 laps
13 - Carmody 1:26.442 nr finisher 15 laps
14 - J. Oseth 1:27.626 nr finisher 11 laps
15 - Grace 1:31.492 DNF 2 laps
16 - Adleberg 1:30.795 DNF 2 laps
17 - Weisheit 1:41.031 DNF 1 lap
Bob Tupper
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

FV94 wrote:Re manifold - appeared that tech was just fishing - checking OD of tubing.
In case you haven't heard ... national has decreed that at least TWO items SHALL be checked on each car in impound at all national races this year (essentially, this means at least ONE thing beyond weight) - the items should vary from event to event and are aimed at things that are "easy" to check (don't take a LOT of time) - i.e. no engine teardowns as a routine <g>. I consider it a GOOD THING and hope you do too. We have gone quite a while without anyone ever questioning the majority of the way our cars are assembled. This should help us to be able to rely on tech a bit more and reduce the requirement of making competitor protests when you 'suspect' but aren't really sure about things <g>... I'm certain this will help, but it seems to me to be a step in the right direction.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
grimes34

Finish Photo

Post by grimes34 »

eugene Team2Stool deviant
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Who led into the last turn, last lap (coming on to the front straight)? ... and WHERE was GRIMES in the results?? :mrgreen:
Steve
brian

Post by brian »

Hate to disagree with you Steve but what we DON"T need is some well intending, but vee ignorant tech person challenging issues that aren't a problem. I have no issue with asking a fellow competitor about the legality of something they are doing. If it's a big issue, and they refuse to comply, they deserve what a protest will bring them. It has always been my contention for tech to deal with safety issues and let the compliance and prep issues be handled by the competitors. It stops gutless fishing expeditions too. Let the flaming begin! :evil:
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SOseth

Post by SOseth »

I think Kearney led going into turn 10 with Roger S 2nd and Jeremy 3rd. Roger told me he got inside Kearney going into 10 and they were side by side coming out. Surely that slowed them both down enough for Jeremy to get a run on them to start - finish.

SteveO
butchdeer

Post by butchdeer »

Brian wrote
Hate to disagree with you Steve but what we DON"T need is some well intending, but vee ignorant tech person challenging issues that aren't a problem. I have no issue with asking a fellow competitor about the legality of something they are doing. If it's a big issue, and they refuse to comply, they deserve what a protest will bring them. It has always been my contention for tech to deal with safety issues and let the compliance and prep issues be handled by the competitors. It stops gutless fishing expeditions too. Let the flaming begin! brian

Private message
I peronally like the Idea of Tech Looking for legality of visually or easily measured rules that can be cheked without teardown. The protest rule is highly confrotational and competitors should not have to go through that procedure for rules violations that are obvious to officials of the club. ie tech inspectors.
Butch Deer
FV since1963
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

From my view point about 100 feet back Roger did get alongside Jim going into 10 and Jeremy definatly had a good run on them.

The tech people were checking intake OD's with a 6" dial caliper and with everything around the intakes had a problem getting a measurement. It is my understanding that you don't have to remove anything other than bodywork for them to do the checks. What they need is a guage like they had at Mid Ohio one year that was a circle with two holes cut out to slip over the intake which they did on my car without any problems.

Ed
brian

Post by brian »

Butch, don't forget there is an existing provision in the GCR for a non confrontational , no penalty ruling on a car prep issue. Really don't like this kind of stuff showing up in Sunday impound AFTER a race. Competitors are limited in the timing of protests and so should the officials.
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Tech inspections at Nationals - was Summit Point National

Post by FV80 »

Brian (et al)
There is a provision for national clarification of an existing rule on YOUR OWN car .. but it's still not FREE and it doesn't give you the right to look at OTHER people's cars. OTOH, I do agree with you that it would be much nicer for all, if Tech could just roam around on Saturday and do spot checks of whatever they'd like in people's pits BEFORE the races. I guess the problems with that is 1). Word would quickly get around and people who KNOW they aren't legal would be legal by the time tech got there and 2). It still doesn't check anything in 'as raced' condition ... which is what it's all about, isn't it? I do understand your concern, but I don't see the Runoffs karma at Nationals, so I think tech would be a bit easier to get along with .... and if you're ILLEGAL .... then, there isn't much to get along with anyway. If it's a gray area, then you have the option of protesting any decisions made by tech against you.

At least in my case, if it ever happens to me again, I'll be a **LOT** more prepared to deal with it. I suggest we all should seriously consider what our reactions might be in event of a CSA - whether it's really valid or not - and what steps we should take to resolve the issue. FWIW - the first thing we should all remember is that, first and foremost, tech must be able to tell you EXACTLY what part or component is illegal and EXACTLY HOW and WHY. Remember that ... I guarantee you that *I* will never (again) forget it!! :)

We've obviously hijacked this thread, so we'll start a new one ... :mrgreen:
Steve