The new KY Bluegrass Road Racing Course

SR Racing

The new KY Bluegrass Road Racing Course

Post by SR Racing »

"Frankfort, KY (March 26, 2008) – Judge Executive, Kenny French, and Bluegrass Motorsports Club President, Brad Poppell were honored on the House floor in the Capitol Building today as HR 226 that was introduced by State Representative, Royce Adams (D), was successfully passed by a vote of 98-0. “The House of Representatives hereby recognizes Gallatin County as the Motorsports Capital of Kentucky and urges all Kentuckians to take part in celebrations and events honoring this designation. The existence of the Kentucky Speedway, Thunder on the Ohio River Champ Boat Grand Prix, and the start of construction last week of Bluegrass Motorsports Club & Road Course which will allow driving enthusiasts to indulge in their passion for racing in a unique Kentucky setting, have all shown in a myriad of ways, that Gallatin County and its business leaders have demonstrated a commitment to Motorsports unmatched in the Commonwealth”, stated Rep. Adams during today’s legislative session.
Governor Steve Beshear will be attending the ground breaking ceremony on April 10th along with the Judge Executive, local State Representatives, and Formula One legend, Derek Daly to kick off the first and only road course in the Bluegrass state. Mr. Poppell stated “We are not just a motorsports club for gentleman racing, but a competitive race track that that will host a multitude of high-performance driving, club racing, testing, and sanctioned events to the public. I want Gallatin County to look back 10 years from now and see us as a key partner in business development along with our commitment to making Kentucky a model state in terms of driver capability and safety for adult, teen, and law enforcement driver training”."

Road Course located in Northern KY, not to far from the Sparta Oval. They are behind the schedule based upon prior announcements and it is slightly scaled down from the original 6 or 8 configurations, but it looks like it is happening.
jb_11

Re: The new KY Bluegrass Road Racing Course

Post by jb_11 »

I saw some chatter about this on another board as well. There are a few photos in the following thread:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=170406

Here's the track website:

http://www.drivebluegrass.com/
-JB
dd46637

Post by dd46637 »

Very cool looking. I like all the hills and valley's. Any time frame on the opening?

Dave
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Any time frame on the opening?
When we talked to them last year thaey were going to have at least one section open this year.. Now it's next year. These things are always a bit risky. Zoning, EPA, Capital Funding, etc. Even now, I would give it a 60/40 chance of opening in any real capacity. Last spring year when we met with them to see about a membership and presence in the infield, they only had one member signed up. The guy is real nice, but mostly a marketeer who is in the BMW club... At that time he had not talked to the SCCA, NASA,, AMA, etc. (and he of course had no pro-venues planned). So, I was a little leery on how far he would get. Apparently he is moving along though... So we can hope...

Jim