FVresults for Atlanta National?

Post by FV94 »

Can anyone post results/report?
Bob Tupper
FV80
Site Admin

Re: FVresults for Atlanta National?

Post by FV80 »

Dennis Andrade and Charlie Hearn trekked in from out west to visit our track. I had the pole (barely) with Hearn right behind. Schiff was 3rd and Andrade 4th, Charlie Rogers 5th with several more cars behind him. On the start I held the lead through T1, but Andrade and Schiff got together with Schiff spinning and Rogers nailed him in the side. Track went double yellows while wrecker came out to pick up Schiff's car (he was OK - not sure about the damage). Andrade also spun, but recovered at the back of the field. Rogers also continued with a busted nose. Following the restart, Hearn and I quickly pulled away from the pack. Hearn was leading when the FC and FF cars started coming through for the first time. We got separated a bit, but I was able to catch back up. On the second lapping by the FC's we got separated again and I was again able to catch back up and was on his butt for the last lap pass. Unfortunately, 3rd/4th FC (fighting for position) caught us in the esses on the last lap at the same time we caught a lapped Vee - 3 wide through the esses just doesn't work. I tagged the lapped vee on my left as the FC's forced me that way going by on the right. Harry (lapped vee) spun in front of me (BETWEEN Hearn and I) and he and I slid to a stop. No real damage to either car and we both drove away immediately, but Hearn was out front with a 15 second lead by then. He won, I was second. Harry lost a valve cover and didn't realize it - dumped oil all the way down the back straight and through 10a/b - brought out the double yellows as the remainder of the cars finished the last lap. Hearn JUST missed a new lap record (somewhere in the hundredths).
Amazingly, the results are already posted at Mylaps.com.
Hearn
Davis
Andrade
Rogers
Schneider
Vaseff
Andrade (Laura)
Doyle
Schiff (DNF)

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

Sorry to hear about the "issues" with the faster cars. Seems like it's going to be an issue for all of us from now on. The second Thunderhill vee national was decided by FF's lapping us. Unfortunately, most of the FF's were running solo and unchallenged, and they chose to take the pass in a less than sportsman like manner and break up the vee trains.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

At least in this case, I knew all THREE of the drivers in the other cars quite well (besides Hearn and myself) - I think everyone did everything they could to avoid an incident and continue to race for position. No one made any BONZAI or BONEHEAD moves - there just wasn't enough room at the precise spot on the track where we all ended up together. 100 yds in either direction would have made the difference - sometimes it just happens that way... :cry:
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80