FV Intake Manifold Measurements 2018

FV80
Site Admin

FV Intake Manifold Measurements 2018

Post by FV80 »

Intake manifolds haven't been mentioned here since 2016 I think, so I'm starting a new thread. This is from the Preliminary October Fasttrack Minutes and it addresses the "Proper" methods to measure the manifold particulars and also cleans up some other minor stuff. I don't see any real CHANGES to the previous manifold measurement rules. Since this editor doesn't provide STRIKE-THROUGH font, I have shown strike-through as italics. Hopefully, I have translated the NEW TEXT (red) accurately, but I'm sure the italics won't be so obvious. To view the original document, you can go to
https://www.scca.com/pages/cars-and-rules
-------------------------------------
Recommended Items
The following subjects will be referred to the Board of Directors for approval. Address all comments, both for and against, to the Club Racing Board. It is the BoD’s policy to withhold voting on a rules change until there has been input from the membership on the presented rules. Member input is suggested and encouraged. Please send your comments via the form at http://www.clubracingboard.com.
FV
1. #24664 (Formula/Sports Racing Committee) FV Intake Manifold Clarification
In GCR section 9.1.1.C.20, make the following changes:

20. US imported VW Type 1, 1200 sedan manifold must be used. The manifold heat riser tube and heat sink shall be removed. Removal of metal from the interior of the intake manifold and the interior rust-proofed is permitted provided that the following dimensions are not exceeded.
See Figures 1 and 2 at the end of this subsection for application of certain measurements specified herein.

a. DownT tube: The O.D. of the down tube shall be measured at two different locations within an area between 0.500" and 2.000" above the horizontal manifold tube. Each measurement shall be taken four times rotating around the circumference of the tube starting at an arbitrary 0 degree location followed by additional measurements at approximately 45, 90, and 135 degrees relative to the 0 degree position (the two measurement locations do not have to be started at exactly the same rotational position), and averaged.
The averaged O.D. of the down tube shall not exceed 1.140" inches. Removing material from the outside of the manifold to achieve the legal dimension is not permitted. Removal of the manifold down tube from the horizontal tube is prohibited. The original factory furnace bronze attaching process and original factory bronze repair material MAY be visible, inside and outside the manifold.

b. Horizontal tube: The O.D. of the horizontal tube shall be measured at four different locations on each side of the down tube. The area to be measured on each side of the down tube is defined as being between the bend and a point that is 1.500" and 8.000" from the center of the down tube connection on the short side, and between 1.500" and 8.500" from the center of the down tube connection on the long side. Each measurement will be taken four (4) times, rotating around the circumference of the tube at each location, starting at an arbitrary 0 degree location followed by additional measurements at approximately 45, 90, and 135 degrees relative to the 0 degree position (the four measurement locations do not have to be started at exactly the same rotational position), and averaged. The averaged horizontal tube dimensions shall not exceed 0.994" inches. Removing material from the outside of the manifold to achieve the legal dimension is not permitted.
The tubes making up the manifold must also meet the following requirements:

1. The minimum bend-to-bend distance is 17.75". inches (Bend-to-bend distance is the distance between points along the horizontal tube where the 0.994"inch O.D., as described above, is first exceeded.)

2. At no point in the bends of the horizontal tube may the average O.D. exceed 1.070" inches. Measurements will be taken four (4) times at each location rotating around the circumference of the tube starting at an arbitrary 0 degree location followed by additional measurements at approximately 45, 90, and 135 degrees relative to the 0 degree position, and averaged.

3. The maximum carburetor flange height is 9.25" inches (measured from the intake cylinder head sealing surface to the centerline of the top of the carburetor flange).

4. The maximum deviation from straight along the 17.75" inch bend-to-bend section of the horizontal tube is 0.25" inches.
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
GrahamLoughead35

Re: FV Intake Manifold Measurements 2018

Post by GrahamLoughead35 »

I see the 2016 topic of this question but do not know if the answer has changed: Are painted or colored manifolds legal?
Graham Loughead #35
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

The interpretation that I made says NO. The rules specifically state

Manifolds may have a thin, transparent or translucent coating of rust proofing material applied.
Discoloration or darkening of the manifold itself from heating or aging, or yellowing of coatings
with aging, is allowed. Other than the allowed coating for rust protection, any other type of coating
including conversion coatings are prohibited.

From my reading, ANY other coating is prohibited .. such as the 'coating' (whatever it is) that VSR was (is?) putting on their manifolds. I have one and removed the coating with a light bead blasting and replaced it with a light coating of clear lacquer. ( Remember Laguna Seca? :shock: )
GrahamLoughead35

Post by GrahamLoughead35 »

OK thanks. From my research that was the case as well. I knew a lot of DQ's came from Laguna but didn't know what for. Painted manifolds?
Graham Loughead #35
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Didn't mean to imply that .. just that manifold DQ can happen and why test it if there's no need?

Honestly, I don't KNOW why the 2 manifolds were DQ'd. I wasn't there and I haven't specifically asked either of the racers involved. If their case was anything like mine, it's quite possible that even THEY don't know why the manifolds failed.