Making a New body for my FV

jphoenix

Making a New body for my FV

Post by jphoenix »

I increased the wheelbase of my modified Caracal C (actually a Brian R Mcarthy creation) to provide another inch of legroom. The wheelbase is now exactly 83.5" per the rules. I also wanted to raise the body up to provide more room for my knees (make the body taller) because I have 36" inseam legs and they get all cramped up and hit the inside of the body now.

I modified the old body last year to fit the widened upper tubes, but I really needed to make a new body this year because the mods to the old one just added weight.

So I poured some foam on the old body along with a few gallons of Bondo to make a mold for the new body. I found some carbon fiber on eBay cheap, so figured I would use that along with the required two layers of Kevlar.

Photos and details of the new body are on my website here: http://www.jimphoenix.com/2015/02/layin ... w-fv-body/

I do plan to make a new engine cover because the old one was modified last year with added fiberglass and is much heavier than it needs to be.

Jim
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
Bob Posner

Re: Making a New body for my FV

Post by Bob Posner »

Amazing skill,can't wait to see it. I can barely fathom the hours.
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Bob, it's taken three weekends, will finish it this weekend with numbers. Now I have a mold, so will be faster to make new body parts when needed.
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Body on the car, ready for sanding and polishing.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
brian

Post by brian »

Very nice work, I hardly recognize the car. Have you measured the length?
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Exactly 127" from exhaust to nose, I measured the buck prior to pulling the mold and had to shave a half inch off the nose.

Actually from nose to rear plate, I removed the exhaust annular duct - but not sure if that annular duct is important?
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Absolutely FANTASTIC work, Jim. I wish I had your talent for bodywork. Also a really neat idea for a paint booth. Wish I had thought of that when I painted mine.

Something to consider ... Putting your WB at max length is 'dangerous' at impound time. Keep in mind that your WB measurement will be affected by
1). Ride height
->> Whether you are in the car or not.
->> Whether there is FUEL in the car .. or HOW MUCH .. affecting ride height.
2). TOE IN (front and rear) - depending on exactly how a tech inspector might choose to measure it.
3). Caster (front and rear).
Theoretically, 0.001 over max is DQ since you are already at the MAX tolerance of the spec.
Just be prepared when you go to impound after WINNING your race :P :P

Steve, FV80

addition.... Car RAKE will also affect your overall length .. depending again on exactly how a tech inspector might measure it.
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Good points Steve, I measured the WB with car up on the stand, front suspension hanging by the limit cables. I think (but not sure, need to get the plumb bob out again) that when I put it on the ground and weight in it, the suspension will travel up and aft. thereby making the WB slightly shorter - or do I have my geometry backwards? I suppose if the turkey legs go above level, the WB gets slightly longer again. So, I should mesaure it at worst case, which would be turkey legs level? Also increasing rear toe-in will have an effect as well.

If I ever decide to go to the runoffs, I suppose I shall have to get very scrupulous about the measurements - I suspect I have a couple of years to get it right ;-)
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44