AV Gas

bobc

AV Gas

Post by bobc »

After my local airport refused to sell me gas citing a FAA ruling I decided to do something. The first step to file a Federal lawsuite is to send a registared letter giving them 30 days to respond. They have not responded so today I went to the court house and got the necessary paperwork. There is a $400 filing fee that I could use some help with. If the ruling goes in our favor I will send a copy of the ruling to everyone who helps.
JSM 16

Re: AV Gas

Post by JSM 16 »

Where is this airport located, I have no problems with the airport I deal with. Just pull up to pump insert credit card and pump into container.
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Did the airport operator provide you a copy of the FAA ruling, or perhaps where to find that ruling? I also get my avgas at a local airport, no problems.
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

bobc wrote:After my local airport refused to sell me gas citing a FAA ruling I decided to do something.... .
I am not sure of why that airport won't sell to you. However I have no idea of what basis you plan to sue them on. Race, Age, Sex, Religion Fair Trade etc.?

They have the right to not sell to you for most any reason. The most common being the additional paperwork that it can cause them. For example the state and federal tax laws. They are required to have you fill out a form and sign it, stating that the fuel will not be used on the highway. Since this cause them extra work, they can refuse to sell to you for administrative reasons. They can also refuse to sell to people putting fuel into containers (not fuel tanks). This can be based upon safety, EPA, paperwork or most any excuse they want. Any private organization can refuse to sell to anyone, as long as its not based upon some special constitutional protection that you have.
(Especially when it is in evidence that fuel is sold at the track for your purposes.)

I am not a lawyer, but I would suggest you save your $400 for buying fuel at another airport.
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

Our local airport said that they cannot knowingly sell fuel for non-aviation purposes, but advised (wink, wink) that the self-service pumps were open 24/7 and the airport is only staffed until 7 PM.....
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

vreihen wrote:Our local airport said that they cannot knowingly sell fuel for non-aviation purposes, but advised (wink, wink) that the self-service pumps were open 24/7 and the airport is only staffed until 7 PM.....
I have that same experience. What seems to work, too, is to go to 100ll.com and find the folks who provide av gas at your local airport and call them up. Sometimes they need to open a gate when you come by, but they are usually happy to help out.
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

vreihen wrote:Our local airport said that they cannot knowingly sell fuel for non-aviation purposes, but advised (wink, wink) that the self-service pumps were open 24/7 and the airport is only staffed until 7 PM.....
That's more likely a state tax or DOT issue, as stated above, they want their road taxes - not that you need pay road taxes for your race car.

There is no Federal Aviation Regulation that controls the dispensing of aviation fuel, except for the rule that says you cannot put jet fuel in an internal combustion piston engine. (Unless it's a diesel powered airplane, which do exist)
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44