Citation Setup recommendations

BLS

Citation Setup recommendations

Post by BLS »

Checking my alignment and attempting to get a good starting point for the rear zero roll setup.

I have the front toe set at 3/32, the rear toe is set at 1/16. I *think* the rear is going in the right direction.

Front shocks are droop limited black Penske's that have been rebuilt, 3/4" anti-roll bar, spring about 20% more than a normal full set anchored in the center (twin adjusters installed). Front ride height is standard Citation with an added 1" curved floorpan, so the center of the pan is 2.25" height. The top torsion arms are just about level at this height. With my weight in the car the shocks just move off the droop limit. Offset bushings give me about 1.5-1.75 d of camber each side. The front has new bushings, etc, moves freely, no slop.

I have adjusted my zero roll as follows: 4.5 camber with droop limit set about 2.2. I have adjusted the spring out to near the base and used the pushrods to adjust the camber. I am thinking this means when you come off/on the droop limit it is a softer change than if I adjust the camber with the spring perches mostly. Search results seems to be all over the place :shock:

My rear shock is an older Carrera with no adjustments that I know of. It has been rebuilt. I forgot to check the spring rate and it is not anywhere on the spring as I checked when I had it off. It is what the car came with and I'll check it after this weekend.

If you think I'm way off or have what you think is a better starting point please let me know.

Also, hoosier tires - what cold and hot pressures do you recommend?

Thanks,
Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
Dave

Re: Citation Setup recommendations

Post by Dave »

With the rear of the car in the air:
1 Set the droop limit rod center to center on mounting bolts to the same distance as the lower rocker approx.10 15/16.
2 Set the droop with the drop rods
3 Set camber with the spring

What is the spring rate you are running? Should be about 150 Lbs. Camber and droop are a good starting point. As you get faster you will loose some camber. Toe is a little much run it pretty straight up in rear no more than 1/16 in front,but check your bump steer.

Dave
BLS

Post by BLS »

Dave,

Thanks very much. I do not know what the spring is. It's not marked in any way and I had meant to check it while it was off the car but forgot to do so. Given the compression, it must be right around 150. I am going to check it and find out for certain.

Your information will be helpful.

Regards,
Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
BLS

Post by BLS »

Dietmar at Quixote Racing has been kind enough to send me information as well, and answer my very novice questions on more than one occasion.

Thanks Dietmar!
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
Campbell Motorsport

Post by Campbell Motorsport »

Barry,

Send me your email address and I can forward you some set up information.

Larry Campbell
campbellmotorsport@yahoo.com
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Thanks very much. I do not know what the spring is. It's not marked in any way and I had meant to check it...
Which reminds me. Will someone please buy this Longacre spring rate checker from me? I will not ship it, but will be here for pickup or I will deliver to one of the FST FFDA races...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Personally pitch the spring and get a good quality one ie: Hypercoil. The spring rate of a spring will not change, however they will collapse. When you get a new one carefully measure the free length of the spring write it down, annually remeasure the spring. I throw my springs at a 1/4- 3/8in. deviation they will continue to collapse. (cheap spring can collapse quite rapidly)

Dave
BLS

Post by BLS »

Larry, Thank for the information you sent. It will be very helpful.

Dave, good point on the spring. I figured I would start with it since it was what came with the car. But I plan to get a new shock and spring fairly soon.

Regards,
Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation