Head and neck restraints

fv22

Head and neck restraints

Post by fv22 »

After 22 months of not racing for various reasons I am getting ready to start again and need a H&N restraint of some sort. I have looked online at what's available with an eye on most reasonable as well as functional. The "lower" priced units all seem to be around the $600 or so price point until I found the DJ Safety unit. Has anyone ever seen or used one? For under $360 it has the SFI 38-1 rating, way below anything else. But is it worth it? Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.
See the unit here:
http://www.speedshopstore.com/performan ... 06510.html
Bob
brian

Re: Head and neck restraints

Post by brian »

Bob, I think it's a cleverly named device but no where does it state that it's SFI 38.1 approved. It's similar to the Hutchins device which failed to pass the SFI test. I'd be careful with that one.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
BLS

Post by BLS »

Bob,

Used Hans in good condition show up occasionally on APEX speed website. Place a wanted add and someone may respond. The problem I found was they usually are priced so close to a new "sport" model that it may not be worth the smallish savings. I did get a used one at a decent enough price, but I waited for months until the right deal came along.

Regards,
Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
fv22

Post by fv22 »

Thanks for the info guys. I have seen used HANS and as Barry said they are close to new prices. Brian good catch on a possible tricky name I will look into if it actually does have the rating. In the meantime I'm leaning towards the Simpson Hybrid Pro Rage, anyone have experience with that?
WNYVeeRacer

Post by WNYVeeRacer »

I got a Hybrid Pro Rage ( before Simpson took 'em over) cuz I couldn't get comfortable with a HANS in my car ..a BRD Flamingo... pretty much a Caracal/Lynx clone, with a reclining seat position.
I've used it for 2 seasons & like it. The buttress behind the head is smaller than a HANS & doesn't interfere with my headrest, and the clips attaching the tethers to the helmet , allow me to hook things up by myself when I'm in the car ( the stock HANS are awkward, tho they do have upgrades for sale).
It is a bit of a bondage device you strap on before getting into the car, but it doesn't interfere with my belts once I'm seated. I got used to the procedure pretty quickly

Hope my observations are helpful..

Have Fun Vee Racin'.

Dennis
fv22

Post by fv22 »

Dennis, Your observations are helpful. Glad to hear it fits a reclining position since I'm in a Lynx these days also. Do you have the sliding tethers? I found a closeout sale online for a unit with fixed tethers brand new at a good price. Just wondering if the fixed tethers are too restraining.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

I can tell you that the sliding tether is worth its weight in gold. No system should use the fixed tethers, since the sliding versions were developed before any of the recent round of unit production. On the track, it's not a big deal, but maneuvering around the pits and paddock, sliding is a virtual necessity.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Hybrid Pro Rage products are awesome. The Hybrid allows me to fit in cars that the HANS would not. Much better for big guys with short necks in lay-down cars!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
fv22

Post by fv22 »

Thanks to all who answered for the great info. Just one more question. I am going to order the Pro Rage this week but also need new harness, do 3" shoulder belts fit or do I need to get 2"? Can't seem to find that listed anywhere.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

fv22 wrote:Thanks to all who answered for the great info. Just one more question. I am going to order the Pro Rage this week but also need new harness, do 3" shoulder belts fit or do I need to get 2"? Can't seem to find that listed anywhere.
We have the wide belts in most of our cars and it works fine. Much depends on the belt anchor locations, but I would try it with your current belts first.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
WNYVeeRacer

Post by WNYVeeRacer »

Tho it looks like you question re sliding teathers was answered... Yes , I have them.... makes it easy to turn my head to one side to attach on clip, then turn the other way to release tension & hook up the other side.

and re 3 inch harness, yes, they fit well... However ( like any other H & N restraint) you just want to be sure they are up over the shoulder pieces before cinching them down.

Dennis
brian

Post by brian »

Rules regarding shoulder belt width only allow 2" if you are using a H&N restraint. Probably a moot point since H&N is required but a narrow belt could be an issue for a bare collar bone.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.