Chassis Stands?

craigs

Chassis Stands?

Post by craigs »

I want to get a set of stands like these:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... oduct=3175

or something similar, but I can not find anyone that is happy with an off the shelf version. I have spoken to several local drivers asking if they like their stands and where they got them. No one has been able to say "Buy this brand cause they work". What is the communities general consensus on what to get? Brand? Height? Etc...?

To make it even more complicated I would like the stands to perform as well on grass as they would on concrete.

Thanks,

Craig
wroché29

Re: Chassis Stands?

Post by wroché29 »

I use 4 cheap-assed jack stands and lay a 30" long piece of angle iron across each pair.

Cheap and they are used for other projects as well.
Bill Roché
Citation XTC41
Team FootShoot partner
brian

Post by brian »

I have a pair of metal stands at approx. 12", they could be yours if you want to pay freight. PM me.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

Another easy way to do it Craig is to just get 2 24" long 6x6 blocks of wood or larger if you want the car higher but 6x6" works good, jack up the back of the car and place 1 block under car around the roll hoop, let the jack down walk to the front of the car and grab the beam with 1 hand, lift the car and slide second block under the front. The first block should be placed so the car will almost balance on it that was lifting the front will take minimal effort. This is what I will be doing from now on, just made my blocks and it works great. You can't detail the bottom of the car up for getting the wheels off, adjusting brakes or getting a oil pan underneath for draining it's a easy cheap way to do it.
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Mark, it's nice to know that I'll be in good company using the low tech boards.
fv195

Post by fv195 »

I have built a couple of the lifts that use a 12v wench. Firstone built raised car 18" not enough. talked to Fred Clark, he told me the saft limit was 36" so I built my second one to raise the car 33"
my dad just bought a new (to us) caracal that came with a lower lift. unsure of hight.
The one I have built work on grass, uneven ground just fine. I have no plans for them, just use my mind and create.
I like to use a removeable pully on the lifting part, so you can tie it down in the trailer and wench the car in if need be.
THOR
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

jpetillo wrote:Mark, it's nice to know that I'll be in good company using the low tech boards.

:mrgreen: The "kiss" principle! Cost me $5.99 for 2 sweet handles and I got the 6x6 blocks for free

A small harbor freight aluminum race jack that is really light can be had for $49 when on sale and 2 blocks of wood is all I need while at the track, but I am almost done building a gantry crane that will lift the car and I can roll a collapsible car stand that I already built. I went with the gantry and stand over the lift because I liked the fact nothing is in my way walking around the car and I can also use the gantry to lift the engine or gear box when removing.

Ill try to post some pictures later
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
craigs

Post by craigs »

brian wrote:I have a pair of metal stands at approx. 12", they could be yours if you want to pay freight. PM me.
Brian:

Thanks a ton. Just got back from vacation and they were waiting for me. The check will go out this weekend.

Craig