relocating shoulder harness to fit Hans

grimes34

relocating shoulder harness to fit Hans

Post by grimes34 »

I have to relocate The shoulder harness to fit Hans thing, How far apart do I drill the new holes?

TANKX,
eugene
eugene Team2Stool deviant
fvracer27

Re: relocating shoulder harness to fit Hans

Post by fvracer27 »

http://hansdevice.com/Tech

http://hansdevice.com/core/media/media. ... c2&whence=

You do not need 2" shoulder belts if you mount your belts correctly, Hans was designed before 2" shoulder belts were being used and using 3" shoulder belts allows you to have the ability to use other H&N devices if a Hans does not work for you.
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Eugene,
IMHO, you cannot get them too close together. And 3" belts (again IMHO) work better than 2". The original HANS (~1991) had 'ears' on the sides of the breast plates and an area in the upper chest that conflicted with 3" belts. The newer model no longer conflicts - and the 3" belts actually "kinda encapsulate" the MUCH narrower HANS. The 2" belts tend to slide off more easily and you need to be VERY careful at 'belt in' that they are really where they need to be.

I can't imagine a problem where the belt mounting holes could be too close together. I put mine at the minimum (3" inside to inside?) recommended distance and wish they were closer ... but new mounting holes would leave me with swiss cheese in the mounting bar or I would need to replace the bar .. and $$re-powder coat the frame$$.

Edit .. maybe the best way would be to CLAMP your belts as close together as they can get (1.7" ?) and sit in the car with your HANS on and see how it works.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Dave

Post by Dave »

FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Dave,
EXCELLENT reference!
tks,
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Schroth has some amazing safety guides. Everything from how it relates to the Hans device, to the details and options on lap and anti-sub belts!

I second the sit in the car thing with the belts clamped to the bar for a trial before you drill! I went commando on my car and just drilled it according to the instructions, which happened to work great for me. But it's all about geometry, and how far the bar is from your neck will affect the ideal distance. Thankfully for me, there's a lot of leeway in the measurements!