rear end steps out

jmattox

rear end steps out

Post by jmattox »

Any suggestions? Our 1979 Vista Bushwacker with zero roll and leading arms (at least they are in front of axle) seems to be having the rear end step out when I get going fast enough to slip and slide. The front end seems to go exactly where I tell it to go and does not seem to be experiencing any understeer. When the back end steps out a little reverse steer or backing off throttle brings everything back under control. Backing off does not seem to be a competitve move (still need to get lap times down).

Thanks
John
FV42 CFR
smsazzy

Re: rear end steps out

Post by smsazzy »

How do you have the rear set up now? Camber, toe, etc.?

What tires are you running and how old are they? What pressures do you run for the rear tires. What rear shock do you have and how is it valved? What are you running for a droop stop, and what is it set at?

Need more info to really give a good answer.

As a starting point, I would either add some negative rear camber. Go up 1 degree and see what it feels like.

If the camber is already good and you are experiencing even wear on the rear tires, you may try adjusting the pressures on the back. Assuming your tires are "in the ballpark" for pressures, try taking a half pound to a pound of pressure out of the rear tires.

If you can adjust the shock, you may also try going a couple clicks softer on the back and see if that helps.

Lastly, I'm not sure what you run for droop today, but you may want to soften the bump stop for the droop if the sudden hit into the droop is upsetting the car. As you can see, there are a lot of variables to consider.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Try different droop settings first and rear shock rebound adjustments next.
For mid-corner rear grip, these are the only things that matter.
My guess is you want more droop control (smaller value) and less rebound.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

On my car if it was a little more than I was confortable with I would just toe in the rear somemore since it was easy to do at the track, so if you have an easy way to do it you might try that.
Ed