Neck Restraints

Greg Davis

Neck Restraints

Post by Greg Davis »

I need to get a neck restraint and am debating between a Hans and a Necks-Gen. I'd appreciate any input as to the pro's and con's of each device, or any other device I'm not aware of that might be recommended. I have a D-13 so I also have a rather severe seat angle to consider.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Neck Restraints

Post by Dietmar »

Greg:

having just gone through the same situation( D-13 AND COST) I went with the NecksGen ($599). It is 4 way adjustable and will fit the D-13 with no problem OTHER than the original belt mounts will have to be changed. They are too far apart and might be too high if you have the original mounts. You will also be happier with a 2 inch shoulder strap but the 3" will still work.

If you want more info, give me a call

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

The Simpson unit is the only one that I've been able to drive a Formula car with. At that, I have to have the belts looser than I'd like, and miss more shifts, but atleast I can drive with it. Not a chance with the HANS. Its not like buying a pair of socks ..... especially if you are a bigger guy in a laydown car, even worse if you have a short thick neck ..... you need to find the right solution for you. Don't just order something to arrive 2 days before your race and think you're all set.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
brian

Post by brian »

Greg's right. After a ton of frame work, seat, helmet, belt changes and trying several units on, I'm still not happy with the results. I plan to do more frame modifications this winter. Frankly, I have serious reservations about H&N systems for lay down seating.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

You'll really have to try them, as unfortunately it depends a lot on the car and your body as to what will be comfortable. I'd imagine one of the adjustable units would have a better chance of fitting perfectly. Personally, I luckily had zero trouble fitting a Hans device on my car (Tsunami/Caracal D) - other than drilling two holes to mount the shoulder belts. It fits me perfectly and I can't even tell I'm wearing it. Then again at 5'11" and 145lbs, I'm hardly the average vee guy.
Greg Davis

Post by Greg Davis »

Thanks to everyone for all your input. I'm leaning towards the Necks-Gen at this point.
WNYVeeRacer

Post by WNYVeeRacer »

Hi Greg - I got a Simpson one last Dec and it works fine in the BRD Flamingo. There is less of an upper collar in the back than the HANS and no modification was needed on my headrest/firewall. and I , ummm, "tested" it last weekend at the Glen. It works.
racing stuff

Post by racing stuff »

Now to add to your confussion, is the just released HANS Adjustable model. Portion behind the helmet is smaller and rounder, like the HANS Sport II model, but the angle is adjustable in 5 degree increments, 10 degrees to 40 degrees.
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
Greg Davis

Post by Greg Davis »

Sorry to hear about your "testing" incident Dennis. Hope you are ok and the car is not too bad.
WNYVeeRacer

Post by WNYVeeRacer »

Got caught up in a T-9 melee. Bent beam & minor collateral damage. I'll be ready for the Fun 1.

Dennis
Greg Davis

Post by Greg Davis »

Unfortunately Dennis I won't be doing any racing until I get back from our trip to Italy in Sept. The wife told me that if I got injured in a racing incident and didn't succumb initially, she would make sure to finish me off afterwards. I hope to do the final MARRS event at Summit in Oct. Sorry I won't make the Fun One.