Distributors

tiagosantos

Distributors

Post by tiagosantos »

Just curious for now - the GCR says we can use any distributor that's made of the same material and dimensionally identical.. Does this mean any of the current Bosch 009 copies are OK? Chinese, Euromax, EMPI, Pertronix..? And I assume that makes the billet pertronix versions illegal?
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Distributors

Post by FV80 »

I read it to mean that the housing must be STEEL - as the original. So, an ALUMINUM billet (which is what I assume you are talking about) would not be legal.
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

That is what I assumed as well Steve..

How about these, though? http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?P ... ER-D186604

They look just identical and use the same material, but according to their sales pitch, the advance curves are slightly different. Seems fine to me from the GCR wording, but what do you guys think?

For the record, I don't care about the ignition curve, I think I'll be at maximum advance the whole time anyway. Just curious about it being made in the US and.. Well, new!
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Tiago,
I'm not an official tech inspector (though I do have a regional license for that specialty), but I see no reason why that distributor would be questioned. It appears to be a proper "updated" replacement and as far as I can tell, there is nothing about it internally that would make it illegal.
Fitting of any standard VW distributor (not restricted to 1200,
series) may be used. Use of any standard 6- or 12-volt non
transistorized ignition coil is allowed. Coil mounting location is
unrestricted.

'Standard' would be the operative word here, but I'm not really sure what that means (not listed in the Tech Glossary).

It does say that is MUST be used with their 'genuine' performance coil although I doubt that is really true - they just want you to buy that too. The increased voltage will draw a little more current from your battery and 'tax' your plug wires (make them tend to jump spark) while not really "adding horsepower" as they claim.

I would suggest that if you go with this setup, you do also install their 5400 RPM limiting rotor button :mrgreen: to help control all that power.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

This is a 009 replica with Pertronix point replacement in it, nothing more that that.

Brian
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Exactly. It is a Chinese cast housing (duplicate of the Bosch 009), with the drop in Pertronix. If you have a Bosch 009, you would be better served to use the 009 and use a drop in Pertronix. The Chinese internals have done some poor press fittings on the shaft and you have to watch that you don't develop 10 or 15 deg of shaft play over the advance. Interestingly, the cast housings are much better than the Bosch (appearance).
But they have stopped making the Bosch 009, so only a few are left around.

By any definition they are legal though.

In regards to the "improved" advance curve.... No one is driving on the track under 3000 RPM (hopefully) so it means nothing to us.
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

I do have a brand new Bosch 009 that *might* have developed some issues (I think the problem was somewhere else, but...). I'm just looking for something I can use if the Bosch turns out to really have failed, while trying to avoid paying the premium. The Pertronix is sold as being "made in USA" so I thought it might have been a decent option. If it's a Chinese dizzy, I already have one of those :)

And yeah, not worried about the advance curve for on track performance at all, just wondering if the different curve would make it illegal. Guess not!