Bent Front beam

BLS

Bent Front beam

Post by BLS »

I recently purchased a Citation and it came with a spare, slightly bent beam. The beam on the car is a Brazilian beam with micarta bushings rather than needle bearings at the outer end of the beam. The bushings are worn out, about 1/8 inch of play. And I simply do not like them. The spare beam has the needle bearings and the Citation steering mounts. I have other good needle bearing beams as well but I will have to add the mechanism for the Citation steering which is not really a problem, just takes some time to fabricate.

The bent beam has about a 1/8 inch gap when a straightedge is laid on the backside between the mounting block and end (shock tower). I have read that people straighten these. I have a 20 ton press. Will this be enough? Is there any reason not to do it? Any special trick to this?

Thanks,
Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Bent Front beam

Post by FV80 »

Barry,
I would NEVER try to straighten a beam with only 1/8" deviation. Can you "straighten" it? Yes (a 20 ton press is adquate), .. but you will deform it in some areas in the process. IMHO a beam that is "ONLY" 1/8 out is not really BENT .. it's just not PERFECT :-). Personally, I wouldn't mess with anything that's less than a full 1/4" out .. and I'm not sure I'd mess with one that's less than an INCH out. Does it matter? YES. Can you MEASURE how much it matters? No! Not NEARLY as easily as you can measure the deviation. I have raced successfully with beams that were as much as 2 inches bent and (after realignment) could not tell ANYTHING from the drivers seat or lap times.

YMMV,
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
BLS

Post by BLS »

Steve,

Thanks for the information. I never considered it that way. I did consider shimming it slightly and using it. I may just keep it as is for a spare.

Regards,
Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
brian

Post by brian »

I agree with Steve and have shimmed H-beams many times. Having been in the frame straightening business, I have straightened many a H beam but it is not easy. Controlling the beam while applying pressure requires fixtures and it's very easy to generate an s bend around the damaged area. In addition, if both tubes aren't bent exactly like in unison, you will generate a caster split.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
BLS

Post by BLS »

Brian,

I appreciate the information. After thinking about just how I would straighten it I have decided it is not worth it. As you say, it's not going to be easy. And I'm sure Stevan is right. I'll just keep it as a spare for now.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation