Frame Material

igino

Frame Material

Post by igino »

What type of steels are nice frames made of? The rules say "steel tubing'. It seems like some exotic steels could be used - but before going down that route, I wanted to check on the exchange.

Thanks!
Ed Womer

Re: Frame Material

Post by Ed Womer »

I use 1"x2" for front of chassis and 2"x2" for rear of rear roll hoop which is usually 1020 steel. Locally in DC area I can get stock material in 14 guage or 11 guage for both. Some of my earlier cars were made from .065 material that I got from Dillsburg Aeroplane where I get my round tubing from.
Ed
brian

Post by brian »

You can use mild steel or chrome moly if weight is a big issue. Material thickness is open except for roll bars, cages and braces. Read the GCR carefully to determine your needs. Roll bars now require seamless or DOM material but the diameters have been reduced to recognize the strength improvement over seamed or ERW tubing.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
igino

Post by igino »

Thanks for the pointers - i was leaning towards 4130, but i know there are rules about welding and heat treatments to 4130 because it can be brittle if improperly welded.
brian

Post by brian »

Unless you weigh over 200# there's no reason to complicate things with moly.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.