Clutch cable release arm

tiagosantos

Clutch cable release arm

Post by tiagosantos »

Anyone know what these are made of? Are they aluminum?

Are there rules about having to run a stock arm, or can I make one up?
brian

Re: Clutch cable release arm

Post by brian »

they are steel and many have been modified to work with specific chassis.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Yeah, I need to bend mine about 90 degrees. If aluminum worked, I'd make one from scratch for the hell of it, but if it's steel, I'll just bend it :)

Thanks!
racing stuff

Post by racing stuff »

Maybe you would be better off, cutting and re-welding then bending 90 degrees. That's what the old Hewland transaxles did to the stock VW part of the clutch lever arm.
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

That's a good idea, but I'll try bending first just cause, unlike welding, it's something I should be able to do.. The arm on my old tranny was bent and I've seen a few other bent ones, so I guess it works.

I really need to learn how to weld properly!
BLS

Post by BLS »

I've seen a few other bent ones,
Mine is bent, and I have a straight one in my box of parts. I don't remember if I bent it or it came that way. It is not 90 degree's, probably closer to 45.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
brian

Post by brian »

Amigo, you will have to use a torch to get the arm hot enough to make it work. Trying to bend it cold will probably result in a major disconectomy and brakeage.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Haha.. Yeah, I figured that much. I bought the fancy "yellow" super hot sissy torch from home depot.

After bending this thing, do I leave it out to air cool, dump it in sand to cool slower, or water to harden it?
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Is this the $49.99 MApp kit? I've been contemplating buying one of these. I guess it worked for you?

tiagosantos wrote:Haha.. Yeah, I figured that much. I bought the fancy "yellow" super hot sissy torch from home depot.

After bending this thing, do I leave it out to air cool, dump it in sand to cool slower, or water to harden it?
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

That's the one :) I think it was on sale when I bought it, but I haven't used it yet.. Looks good on the shelf! ;) I'll see if I get around to using it tonight to bend the arm.
fv22

Post by fv22 »

I bought a $49,99 torch kit from Lowes that uses MAPP and Oxygen works great for small stuff. Worked perfect to heat the clutch cable arm and easily bend it for me as well as braze small items. If you don't regularly need a full size torch and don't want to sepend much money it's worth it.
Bob
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Just let it air cool.
Ed
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Thank's Ed!