push rod tubes

MCRacer

push rod tubes

Post by MCRacer »

How bent is too bent? Trying to reinstall my engine we bent a couple of tubes. Am I just stuck with replacing them?

Mike
SR Racing

Re: push rod tubes

Post by SR Racing »

Probably not. Pull the rocker shaft asm. and look down the tube to see if the push rod is rubbing the tube. If so, you can usually put a bar down the tube and gently bend it back out. (Check the push rod itself. Hopefully you didn't bend it also. If it is bent at all, you have to replace it.) If it isn't close to rubbing ignore it and go race. :)
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

As long as it doesn't LEAK!
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

I use a 13mm socket and extension to reach inside and push the dents out. Like the others have said, don't push anymore than to remove the dent or you will take the chance of loosing the seal. Leaving dents in the tube because the push rod isn't touching could still lead to rubbing since the pushrods flex at high RPM.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
MCRacer

Post by MCRacer »

Pulled the rocker arm assemblies and used the 13mm socket trick. I got enough of the dents out so there appears to be no rubbing. Hoping there will be no leaking! Thanks for all the help Jim, Steve, and Brian.
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

Always install the tubes with the weld seam up..that way, if the seam splits it won't leak as much........