Brake drum diameter

MCRacer

Brake drum diameter

Post by MCRacer »

I've got rear drums that measure 9.14" compared to the max diameter stamped on the drum of 9.113". Time for new drums?

Mike
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Brake drum diameter

Post by FV80 »

The GCR rules allow you to exceed wear parameters in the shop manual (or anywhere else) as you see fit (except for those parameters specifically mentioned .. like Cylinder bore diameter). If they are working fine and don't cause any other problems, no need to buy new ones .. yet :-).
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
MCRacer

Post by MCRacer »

Thanks Steve. I have not put them on since they were surfaced but they were OK before. I just want to be sure they are safe to run. I'm also getting new brake shoes so I hope the "oversize" drums won't be an issue.

Mike
brian

Post by brian »

Place your new shoes in the drum and make sure there is a slight gap, (.010 or more), at each end of the shoe. If there is no gap on the ends check the center with a feeler gauge. If you can insert a feeler in the middle of the shoe it's radius is off and you'll need to taper the ends to make contact with the center. If you don't it will cause poor performance and can cause hot spots on your newly thin drum. If you can find someone that still archs shoes all the better but it's illegal to do in licensed shops. It's bad for the lungs.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.