New Michelin FV tire?

subrew

New Michelin FV tire?

Post by subrew »

So, who is going to be the first to get their hands on the Michelin tire being developed for the Deltawing Lemans project?

[ external image ]

4" wide, fitting on a 15" diameter wheel. 22.8" diameter.

:P
Dave

Re: New Michelin FV tire?

Post by Dave »

Maybe that can be our new Spec tire. Ohh but the back-markers will still be back-markers, I guess that wouldn't be fair.
D Rader

Post by D Rader »

Ours should be Arriving in the next couple of weeks. Testing will start when we can get sme private track days.
Racecarguy1968

Post by Racecarguy1968 »

How much do they cost??
craigs

Post by craigs »

D Rader wrote:Ours should be Arriving in the next couple of weeks. Testing will start when we can get sme private track days.
How'd they look? Measure the same as Hoosiers? Wider? Taller? Durometer?
brian

Post by brian »

I think they're radials, not for us I guess.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Whats wrong if they are radials ?
brian

Post by brian »

My understanding is that radials are not legal for racing tires (slicks) in SCCA. But are specifically banned in our rules. Check your GCR. DOT tire classes can run them. A radial slick is much more expensive than a bias ply and would be instantly a must have item for everyone to remain competitive.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Yep (Brian). And then we will have to have Hoosier/GY make them and their prices will obvioulsy be higher.. Stick with what we got.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

brian wrote: A radial slick is much more expensive than a bias ply and would be instantly a must have item for everyone to remain competitive.
There is absolutely no reason that changing the alignment of a tires cord structure is going to make them more expensive, nor that they would be provide any better performance when used on a FV.

Brian
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

hardingfv32-1 wrote: There is absolutely no reason that changing the alignment of a tires cord structure is going to make them more expensive, nor that they would be provide any better performance when used on a FV.
Can't comment on the performance since no one has compared them back to back. However on the cost? Are you SURE about that?
The radial is far more complex and uses more components. The retail pricing is certainly higher for comparable tires. I would be shocked to find construction costs are equal.
brian

Post by brian »

Many years ago one of our tribe tested radials at the Runoffs and they proved significantly faster. Maybe that person can chime in since my memory is occaisionally challenged. Jim's right about costs, go to any of the tire websites and compare prices.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

SR Racing wrote:However on the cost? Are you SURE about that?
No!

Brian
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

You did say "absolutely" in your post :P