Main bearing specs.

bobc

Main bearing specs.

Post by bobc »

Can anyone tell me the bore diameters for oversized main bearings. I need the sizes for all possable bearings that are aviable.
Thanks
hardingfv32-1

Re: Main bearing specs.

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261284

Are you having a crank ground?

Brian
bobc

Post by bobc »

I am looking for the specs to line bore the case.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Buy a new case.
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

If you can find one and have $700 laying around.

Or line bore it.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
brian

Post by brian »

Line boring cases works as a temporary fix. Once the bearing bores have been distorted they tend to harden and will oval out more quickly than a new case. Since we really don't put a lot of miles on our motors, it should not be a problem if done properly. Don't forget that the thrust face of the rear main sometimes get cut as well. Please don't be offended but if you have to ask for specs, I would not suggest doing this yourself.

Jim? :lol:
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Agreed for the most part. Unless the case is a very good shape dual relief 8mm and you can't afford the $600 for a new one, I wouldn't even do an align bore. To a lessor degree the oversize mains in some sizes are getting tougher to get and usually a few bucks more.
bobc

Post by bobc »

I find it hard to believe that what I thought would be a simple request is so hard. Some of us don't have $600 for a new case and not all of these engines are being built for racing. I have a shop that can line bore the case for me but needs to know the sizes aviable.
BLS

Post by BLS »

Bob, it is assumed it is for a FV engine. If it is a street engine, maybe OK. Line boring is not so simple to do correctly and most shops do not actaully have the correct equipment to do it right. If you would like some info, go to the Gene Berg website. IIRC, it has some good info on line boring, mostly don't. But you can read it and decide for yourself.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Bobc:

Check your mail.

Dietmar
brian

Post by brian »

Your question was simply answered on the first reply from Brian. The rest of the responses were opinions, most have come from years of experience and with the honest desire to save you some grief. :roll:
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

bobc wrote:I find it hard to believe that what I thought would be a simple request is so hard. Some of us don't have $600 for a new case and not all of these engines are being built for racing. I have a shop that can line bore the case for me but needs to know the sizes aviable.
Geesh Bob, Don't get upset. :). This is a FV racing site and we all assumed you were dealing with a race engine. We were trying to help. There are dozens of non-racing VW forums. In any case, I think the web sites you were given have all the info you need. There are a few real odd bearings out there, but to protect your future availabilty, I would have them bore over .5mm only and do not redo the thrust bearing flange (22mm) unless they have to. You can over bore .5mm and 1mm. Then there is the thrust bearing flange which can be .5mm or 1mm. The crank journals are .25mm, .5mm, .75mm and 1.00mm. So you have all the above combos. If you do the bore to .5mm and don't do the thrust it gives you a few more options if you have to replace bearings later. (An oversized thrust bearing flange can be turned down to a stock one if needed.)

Jim
Dave

Post by Dave »

And don't forget to shorten your bearing locating pins!