which long box

Bob Stack

which long box

Post by Bob Stack »

Not that it really matters since I already acquired a long box with the 1:22 third gear, but, just for my own education, what are the benefits and drawbacks of the various 3rd gear choices in long boxes?

Can the third gear be changed? The one I acquired needs to go back to LRE for some work anyway, so if a different 3rd gear was desirable AND it's possible to change them, perhaps I should be talking to Bob about that as well.

I will be running mostly Blackhawk, Road America, and the Milw. Mile. I assume BHF and MM will be short-box, so the long will be only for RA.

Thanks
Fenders? We Don't NEED no stinking FENDERS!
http://WWW.GRAYBEARDRACER.COM
D-13 FV
brian

Re: which long box

Post by brian »

3rd gear choices offer two kinds of options. One is how long will the car stay in 3rd and not overrev the motor, 1:22. Or, how hard the car will pull out of tight turns the 1:32. Or... a combination of both the 1:26. The other side of the coin is how much are RPM's going to drop when you shift to 4th. Any ratio split will cause rpm drop and the closer the ratio is to 4th the better. A 1:22 is closer to the .089 4th and is generally used.

Blackhawk is a short box course with a 1:22. The locals prefer the 1:22 since that 3rd will carry several turns in the back of the course without shifting or over-reving the motor. Road America has traditionally used the long box ith the 1:22 3rd. I've run both 3rds. there and each has it's advantages but the locals prefer the 1:22.

Either box can run any of the 3rd gears but will require complete disassembly and set up to change. Hope this helps
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Bob Stack

Re: which long box

Post by Bob Stack »

Thanks!

I guess if the "traditional" preferred box for RA is the long box with the 1:22, then I got lucky! lol

No idea what third my shortbox has, but I'm sure I will find out by spring.

Thanks again

Bob
Fenders? We Don't NEED no stinking FENDERS!
http://WWW.GRAYBEARDRACER.COM
D-13 FV