Spindle locking nuts

jstoezel

Spindle locking nuts

Post by jstoezel »

Hi:

My car came with aluminum spindle locking nuts. Somehow I damaged the set.
Looking on CIP, I see 2 types: aluminum and chromoly.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?P ... 405-015-CM
http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?P ... C-C10-4210

What do people use? What's the pro and con of each type?

Thanks,
Jean
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
brian

Re: Spindle locking nuts

Post by brian »

Since going to the spindle reinforcements that Peak Performance is selling, I prefer the stock steel nuts. Torquing the aluminum pinch nuts to 50lbs. is a bit iffy. I do not use the locking plates on the nuts since the torque is sufficient to prevent loosening.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Hi Brian:

Thanks for the reply. Do you use the chromoly version or this version:
http://www.cip1.ca/SearchResults.asp?Se ... 31-405-669 Are these even compatible with the link pin type spindles?

Jean

brian wrote:Since going to the spindle reinforcements that Peak Performance is selling, I prefer the stock steel nuts. Torquing the aluminum pinch nuts to 50lbs. is a bit iffy. I do not use the locking plates on the nuts since the torque is sufficient to prevent loosening.
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
BLS

Post by BLS »

Jean, I ordered the chrom moly since I plan to use the spindle reinforcement. I don't think the aluminum will handle the torque. If your not using the reinforcement the al would be OK I think, but you might as well get the CM. Not much different in price.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Hi Barry:

Thanks for the reply. I do use the spindle bushings from PP. I guess I'll be waiting for the chromoly version to get back in stock.

Jean

BLS wrote:Jean, I ordered the chrom moly since I plan to use the spindle reinforcement. I don't think the aluminum will handle the torque. If your not using the reinforcement the al would be OK I think, but you might as well get the CM. Not much different in price.
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

SR has them.

BRM probably does too.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
brian

Post by brian »

don't really sweat it, the original VW steel are readily available and plenty strong.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Hi Brian:

I'm not too familiar with the VW parts, except from what came with my car. Whether it's chromoly or steel is good for me, as long as they don't get damaged like the aluminum did. Are these the original steel nuts?

http://www.cip1.ca/SearchResults.asp?Se ... 31-405-669

Somehow they are associated with the strut version of the front end - are they compatible with the link pin version?

Thanks,
Jean

brian wrote:don't really sweat it, the original VW steel are readily available and plenty strong.
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

I'm not too familiar with the VW parts, except from what came with my car. Whether it's chromoly or steel is good for me, as long as they don't get damaged like the aluminum did. Are these the original steel nuts?

http://www.cip1.ca/SearchResults.asp?Se ... 31-405-669

Somehow they are associated with the strut version of the front end - are they compatible with the link pin version?
No, those are for the Ball Joint beams only. The VW stock ones for a Link Pin beam consisted of 2 thin nuts with a french lock between them. They were harder to adjust and keep adjusted and you had to replace the lock periodically. The aluminum or Chromoly clamp nuts will work fine for you. We have them both in stock and quite a bit cheaper than CIP. (CM = $14.99)
brian

Post by brian »

I second what Jim says about the nuts you referenced. The problem with some pinch nut styles is that it's hard to use a torque wrench with some of them if you're using the PP spacers. If you want to use the OEM double nut style, check with some VW shops or salvage yards. If all else fails send me a PM and I'll send you some. Torquing them to 50# negates the need for the lock plates and they'll last forever.