Fuel Cell size in a Lynx?

Veefan

Fuel Cell size in a Lynx?

Post by Veefan »

Does anyone know if an ATL FC 152 Fuel cell will fit between the rails in a typical Lynx?

[ external image ]
brian

Re: Fuel Cell size in a Lynx?

Post by brian »

that'll be a bit tight. The Lynx is 14" inside, rail to rail. By the time you put that cell in a container it won't fit.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
fv22

Post by fv22 »

Also the 4" across the top will be a problem pushing you too far forward. A Lynx/Caracal type cell goes up as a straight wedge, no flat portion across the top. I recently spent time looking into different cells and nothing fits "right" except the custom cell made specifically for it. Got mine from Fuel Safe, through Fred Clark, not cheap but no fitment problems.
Bob
VORT94

Post by VORT94 »

My stock tank was 16.25" long, and 11" high, and 13.25' wide. If you route the lines that might be beside the frame rails to on top of it and stop the cover at the frame it should squeeze in the 14" frame rails. The 4" flat on top is lower than the stock height so it only sticks out 1" more at that point. Do a scale drawing of both with 2 colors and see how the intersect. Good luck
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Cells and prices here: ATL and FuelSafe

http://sracing.com/Store/Safety/fuel_cells.htm

Note these are for "off the shelf" cells. A custom cell can cost as much as double those prices.

Jim
SR
BobShedd

Post by BobShedd »

I have tried to put that ATL cell in a Lynx - with a cover and the fact the shift rod enroaches into the Rt rear corner it just doesn't work well. It has been done but I fear for longivity with the shift rod right there ( protected but it still pinches causing a stress point ). I had custom cells ( 3 cars ) done by Eagle and was very happy - quick ( typically 3 weeks ) delivery. Send me a PM for more info if you want.
Bob
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

I replaced my bladder when it died with a JAZ 290-104-01 4 gall cell in my Mysterian M2...12.5" length x 12"Wide x 8.5" depth.I now sit a bit more upright but I prefer that position anyway...plus it cost about $150 and a bladder was approx $700!!!!But I race only in Ontario,you cannot get away with the cell in the States via the rules as far as I know?
Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

As bob shedd stated the 152 has been used by others in the Lynx and if you were willing to tweak the shift rod outboard somewhat you could probably get away with it. It will fit within the frame but it is very tight. The cell done by Eagle fits nicely and puts the drive a little bit more upright which works better with the HANS device as it moves the driver forward from the rear bulkhead. It also allows you to get a complete fill in the cell - unlike the stock Lynx B design.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B