Single brake reservoir to duals on a Protoform P2

craigs

Single brake reservoir to duals on a Protoform P2

Post by craigs »

I currently have a single brake reservoir on my Protoform P2. Has anyone converted their P2 to dual reservoirs? Is there enough room/clearance?

I would look, but the car is apart and the frame is at paint.

Thanks,

Craig
fvracer27

Re: Single brake reservoir to duals on a Protoform P2

Post by fvracer27 »

I'm sure it can be done just have to find a place to put a remote reservior.

Mark
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
brian

Post by brian »

What kind of master cylinders are you using? If the reservoir is large enough one should be sufficient.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
craigs

Post by craigs »

Mark - I was thinking the compact ones right on top of the cylinder.

Brian - a single cylinder is great until you lose a brake line. My braking typically is fine with the current set-up. My question is only from a safety stand point.
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

If it's really tight you could use 2 small remote res and just stick them anywhere. I agree with you I would not want to have 1 and have a line let go and have no fluid. Reminds me of my old chevelle I had when I was a kid it had single bowl master what a death trap, and it also had drum brakes :mrgreen:
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
craigs

Post by craigs »

reminds me of a session in 2010 where i went into turn three at nhis and had a BIG oh sh*t moment.
dric53

Post by dric53 »

The original VW brake reservoir has a divider built in which effectively gives you what your looking for. It's what I'm using and still had rear brakes when the front line failed last season. SRacing has them.

Dennis
craigs

Post by craigs »

this one?

http://www.sracing.com/Store/FV_Stuff/resevoir.jpg

that's the same one i have - i believe it was one side feeding clutch and one side feeding the two brake masters. i assume for the baffle to function correctly, if there was a failure, you would feed one brake cylinder off each side and have a separate clutch reservoir?
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

We also have a single version of this resevoir which is about 1/2 the size of the one shown. Yes, you would use the double one for the f and r brakes and the single unit for your clutch.
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

craigs wrote:this one?

http://www.sracing.com/Store/FV_Stuff/resevoir.jpg

that's the same one i have - i believe it was one side feeding clutch and one side feeding the two brake masters. i assume for the baffle to function correctly, if there was a failure, you would feed one brake cylinder off each side and have a separate clutch reservoir?

No, you setup one side for the fronts, one side for the rears and clutch. The Vortech uses the same unit.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
Bob Posner

Post by Bob Posner »

I had a line failure on a P2 and the divided reservoir preserved function for the unaffected brakes. I'd use the dedicated small clutch reservior so as to not lose rear brakes in the event of a clutch line or slave failure.
brian

Post by brian »

Assuming you have two master cylinders, even if you lost one circuit, it would not draw fluid from the other master cylinder. You'd loose all the fluid in the reservior but the undamaged master would still operate.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.