HNR Recertifications Required

SR Racing

HNR Recertifications Required

Post by SR Racing »

Bad news. SFI will require a 5 year "recertification" of all HNRs. How the SCCA handles this I don't know. But I suspect they will force everyone to have the current SFI certification sticker.

IF so, Interesting that a HNR may require recertification every 5, but the Helments can go for up to 9 years typically, and no recertification required. Helmets get far more abuse and are much more susceptable to damage.

"SFI 38.1 RECERTIFICATION NOTICE FOR DEALERS

As the SFI Foundation has recently announced a recertification requirement for Head and Neck Restraints, at HANS Performance Products we want to answer as many questions as possible for our dealers about how this new regulation will work.

Starting Jan. 1, 2012, HNR’s must be recertified every five years. This means that during 2012, competitors who want to use a HANS Device with a date of original certification in 2006 or earlier must have their device recertified. Those who have a HANS Device with a date of original certification in 2007, must be recertified according to the month on the SFI sticker. For example, a device with an original certification of June 2007 would expire in June 2012.

The procedure outlined by SFI states, in part, “Inspection must be done by the original manufacturer only, and not their authorized resellers or dealers.” Devices passing the inspection will receive a new SFI 38.1 conformance label marked with the inspection date.

HANS Performance Products will continue to recertify the HANS Device for a $15 fee (shipping is paid by the customer).

At HPP, we learn a great deal of information about our product when we see a HANS Device that’s been used in competition for several years. It is rare that a device does not pass the recertification inspection. But we regularly see devices that need replacement rubber on the legs or have tethers that are more than five years old and therefore need to be replaced. If we need to replace the rubber or tethers, customers will be charged for these items at the standard price.

We appreciate the help our dealers can give us by communicating with customers about this new regulation and how it will work. Please contact me if you have further questions. Here are a few other details to be aware of:

• Competitors may use an FIA certified Head and Neck Restraint at an FIA event in the U.S. without meeting the SFI’s recertification requirement. But events not on the FIA sporting calendar and held in the U.S. will require an SFI 38.1 sticker for any device 5 years or older.
• Tethers for the HANS Device are manufactured from polyester, which gives them a longer span of use when compared to other material such as nylon. HPP recommends changing tethers every five years.
• Competitors should inspect the HANS Device and tethers after any impact where the device comes into use. It’s likely that the tethers should be replaced.

Thank you.

Gary Milgrom
HANS Performance Products "
Speedsport

Re: HNR Recertifications Required

Post by Speedsport »

Seriously? How long before they require recertification of our driving suits every 5 years? Brilliant minds at SFI...they are clever at getting their hands in our pockets.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

The membership can get SCCA to disregard this if they choose.

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

fat chance of changing SCCA's mind. They adapted the mandatory step out of liability fear not necessarily
science. They're not going to step out on anything for fear of getting sued.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
racing stuff

Post by racing stuff »

There is no reason SCCA can't ignore the SFI and instead accept the FIA as superior. They already do with FIA/SFI belt dates. They don't replace the SFI window nets every two years!
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
G.B.

Post by G.B. »

Jim,

As you understand it, what is the story regarding FIA certified HANS devices?

Guy.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Guy, the HANS (and others) meet current SFI 38.1 and FIA 8858 certifications. These types of certifications are not unlike Underwriter Labs, ISO, SAE, etc. standards.
They simply tell the potential buyer that the device meets some spec. You can buy any safety device you want. However most all sanctioning bodies require some standard. That sactioning body can pick and choose from any they want. For example, the SCCA ignores many SFI certifications for gloves, shoes, etc and ignores the dates on many items that DO have dates. (fuel cells, window nets, etc.) Helmets (while meeting SFI2005 requirements) use the SA certifcation. SA2005, SA2010. The SCCA arbritrarily decides what helmet certification date to use.

So like all other safety items the sanctioning body can choose any certifcation they want and or date requirement. This is up to them and their insurers.

When a body says that we HAVE to change due to any of the above changes it is garbage and a cop out. Hopefully intelligent minds will decide to ignore the 5 year recertification process on the H&N stuff.

Caveate: IF you have a HANS without a SFI or FIA sticker on it, you will have to get it approved and stickered before use next year. (In the SCCA). This will require sending it back.

Does that answer your question?
G.B.

Post by G.B. »

Thanks Jim,

But I am not sue it does answer my question.

I have a Schroth HANS device, purchased in Britain, with only an FIA certification (no mention of SFI), am I good to go next year?

Guy.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

As I understand it, yes. The FIA Certification is fine. (Unless your HANS is dated prior to 2006.) I would give the SCCA a call to make sure.
G.B.

Post by G.B. »

Thanks.

Actually, I cannot find a date on it at all.
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

Here is the rule from the current SCCA GCR:

As of 1/1/12, head and neck restraints meeting SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858 will be required.

But I would really like to know how SFI or HANS think they are going to enforce this statement:
• Competitors may use an FIA certified Head and Neck Restraint at an FIA event in the U.S. without meeting the SFI’s recertification requirement. But events not on the FIA sporting calendar and held in the U.S. will require an SFI 38.1 sticker for any device 5 years or older.
SFI obviously can't require every sanctioning body to mandate their certifications on any other piece of safety gear now, so why would HNRs be different?

I've been voluntarily racing with a HANS since 2005 without needing any recertification from the manufacturer. Until the SCCA decided to make it mandatory, the manufacturer never seemed concerned that I send my device back to them for inspection, despite it being in service for more than 5 years from the point of purchase. So why all of a sudden do they want me to send it back to them to inspect for a fee? I can understand SFI wanting assurance that any used device that has their sticker on it passes the manufacturers inspection, but if the device already carries an FIA sticker, that is unnecessary per the SCCA rule. So the only reason I can imagine for the heavy handed attempt to claim jurisdiction over the use of HNRs in all non-FIA US-based events would appear to be a blatant attempt on the part of SFI to compel existing HNR users to pay tribute to them through reinspection.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Yes, I agree that the point in the press release needs clarification. On it's face it is invalid/non-enforcable.
the manufacturer never seemed concerned that I send my device back to them for inspection, despite it being in service for more than 5 years from the point of purchase. So why all of a sudden do they want me to send it back to them to inspect for a fee?
That is an SFI mandate. Not necessarily any H&M manufacturer. While it sure seems unecessary to me also, $15 certainly isn't making them any money.
With current labor burden rates, you couldn't open a package, put a sticker on it and repackage it for $15. :-) (Especially since they normally have to pay SFI a couple bucks for the sticker.

This isn't a manufacture or SFI issue as far as I am concerned. It is an SCCA issue. They (SCCA) are not manmdated to require ANY certification or even a H&N. They have chosen to on their own. Their procedures on this particular issue will be their decision.
Don

Post by Don »

ok...........lots of useful and not so useful info on the web for head and neck restraing systems (and I am aware that "HANS" is patented, copy righted etc). I am looking for a "budget minded" system for an FV for club racing, and one that is the "least bulkiest". There is of course the HANS, a Hutchens R3 and Hybrid, and D-Cell (all straps). The other wrinkle is here in Canada we will have to use a device "complying with FIA standard 8858-2002s". I am assuming that this means it will require an FIA label, and will limit my choices. There are some that only meet SFI and not Fia. Does anyone have a "list" of head and neck retraint systems that comply with FIA? The D-Cell apeals to me as it is all straps with no hard (possibly bulky) structure, but I have not been able to figure out if it is FIA compliant (I suspect it is only SFI).

JIm (at SR Racing) what systems do you sell and which ones are FIA compliant. If anyone out there help can clear up some of the confusion I would certianly apprecate it.

thanks, don
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Don, if you're on the West Coast (and hence race under the CACC umbrella..) you might want to wait for the CACC fall meeting, which I think will be sometime in November. Some people (well, me, hopefully some others too!) are requesting that the rule is changed to also include SFI approved devices. No guarantees that it will change, but it could..

As of now, I believe only the Hans and one of the Safety Solutions (Hybrid? or Hybrid Pro?) are FIA approved..
brian

Post by brian »

Hate to chime in but I don't think that none of the belt systems would be approved by SFI.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Don wrote:
JIm (at SR Racing) what systems do you sell and which ones are FIA compliant.
Don, we are a Hans dealer and carry them in stock. We are also a Simpson dealer and they market the Hybrid Pro Rage, and Rage so I assume we can get those for you also. (I don't carry them in stock.)
The HANS of course is SFI/FIA, currently the Rage units are SFI only I believe.