FUEL CELL STORAGE

Rolling Stone

FUEL CELL STORAGE

Post by Rolling Stone »

What is the correct way to store a fuel cell(3 Gall) with foam for the winter?I have it out of the car as of today.
BLS

Re: FUEL CELL STORAGE

Post by BLS »

According to what I've read, completely full or empty.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Exactly. As long as you have it out, empty it and let it air dry before re-installing the cap. This is the procedure recommended by ATL and Fuel Safe.
NotMoss

Post by NotMoss »

If storing full, is there any opinion on adding Stabil to the cell to preserve integrity of fuel?
I've been wondering about the advisability of doing this but not sure of consequences for fuel cell itself.
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
Rickydel

Post by Rickydel »

Ted,
If you are using AVgas, I wouldn't worry about it. Just fill it.

Ricky
brian

Post by brian »

If you don't use av gas, stabil works best if it gets a chance to run through the engine and is stored in the carb as well. Race gases go stale very quickly, especially if it's in a plastic jug.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

If your not running AV or some type of racing fuel and just running pump gas I would not leave it in there at all. Pump gas these days is horrible for fuel cells most pump gas has 10+% of ethanol now and is not good for the cell. This is what I was told my ATL when I purchased a new cell 2 years ago.

Mark
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
brian

Post by brian »

there's been a lot of conversation regarding fuel cells and storing gas lately. Some of it contradictory. Best as I can tell, if you're running leaded fuel, there's less of an issue for cells. If you are running an unleaded fuel, even the race unleaded, empty your cell any time it will be sitting for an extended time. Many of the race unleaded uses ethanol and that's supposed to be bad for older cells. Some of the new materials are less resistant to ethanol.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

For the last 2 years I have had long conversations with 4 differet reps from ATL and Fuel Safe at the PRI show in Orlando.

The story has been consitant.

1. Long storage best to EMPTY it and let it dry completely before installing the cap.

2. Storage between races either completely full or completely empty as above.

E10 is not recommended, but they say their tests show no problems IF the above rules are followed.

They do NOT want you to use E85, BUT said they are aware of a venue using it successfully for at least a year with no reported problems YET.

The do NOT recommend any additives (Stabile, etc.) (They didn't say why. My guess is that it must contain some solvents stronger than gasoline itself, so it would make sense to me.)

The logic for keeping it full when not in use is simply that the more volatile compounds will stay in solution (not evaporate) and attack the cell.

Long term or even between races, disconnect your carb inlet and run the engine out of fuel while pumping the throttle pump. As it dies, shoot some WD-40 down the throat. The throttle pump, 2 little check balls, their seats/orifrices and jets are where the old gas will evap and leave major deposits. So you want them cleaned out

I dont think Lead has any pros or cons regarding the cell per se'. But as pointed out, some unleaded will have ethanol. That can be a problem.

Knock on wood.. We have NEVER replaced a cell, and typically don't have deposit problems.