drum to drum tranny and engine storage rack

craigs

drum to drum tranny and engine storage rack

Post by craigs »

I have a spare drum to drum set up and a spare engine that I would like to take along with me in the trailer next year. They are separate. I am sure someone has built cradles to hold their spares. I am looking for something not on wheels. Anyone have plans that I can copy?

Shoot while we are at it, anyone have plans for the battery powered lifts that lift the whole car from underneath? I know SR sells a new one and have seen used ones for sale, but shipping would kill any "deal".

I will never be in the business of making and selling, just want to fabricate these three things to make my life easier.

Thanks,

Craig
dric53

Re: drum to drum tranny and engine storage rack

Post by dric53 »

Craig,

Will bring sketches of lift to NHMS, can probably figure something out for your trailer as well.

Dennis
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

craig

I'm going to build a lift soon and a trans holder if you want to build I can also give you info also could show you what I have to hold engines.

Mark
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
craigs

Post by craigs »

thanks guys - see you in a couple of weeks.
brian

Post by brian »

I'm working on drawings and procedures for lifts. As soon as it is finished, I will make a post. One way to stabilize a tranny is to fab a bow that attaches to the bolt eye on the top of the tranny at the base of the bell housing. At each end of the bow, weld on an arm with a u-bolt that will clamp on to the axle.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV95

Post by FV95 »

I have a fiberglass engine shipping crate. It is tall and will accomodate a vintage engine with cooling shrouds. Since I am within a couple of hours of Autowerks, I deliver and pick up my engine in the trunk of my Passat. I have used the base of the container to keep the engine stable while hauling it in a larger vehicle. Pls send your email address if you are interested, to jjpfoto@earthlink.net, and I will travel to my storage site next week and take photos of the shipping container for you. OH, $175 plus shipping. Thanks, John Pitman
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Craig, I have a steel VW engine "stand" that mounts to a bench - not a floor mount with wheels - it's a nice piece. You're welcome to take that and copy it if you want. John
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Exactly!
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

tiagosantos wrote:Something like this?

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?P ... C-C10-1410
That is nice for a static stand on a SOLID garage floor, but not for an unsprung trailer bouncing along down the interstate. I think that would snap the bolts off the back of the engine - at least bend them beyond usability. You'll need something under the case .. or at least support it from the heads for that kind of abuse.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Since he's building his own stand, he can just add in the extra two arms so it mounts with four bolts like it would to the tranny, although it would make the stand less usable for engine work in the trailer since it would not give access to the rear - unless he makes the additional two arms removable. If I were to go the route of a mount like this as opposed to a platform style (sitting on the floor), I'd be more concerned with having a solid enough mount to the vehicle or bench. (added) I do agree that a platform mount/cradle is preferable for transport.
Last edited by jpetillo on September 4th, 2011, 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
BLS

Post by BLS »

I agree with Steve, wrong idea for transport. You can easily make an engine transport stand out of wood that works real nice. 2x4 square base with a plywood sheet on the top, a plywood sheet set vertically behind the engine with four holes to bolt up and supports to stabilize the vertical sheet. It's a simple device that works. On the base cut out a hole for the sump extension. The weight sits on the four corners of the engine case and the bolts hold it in place. You can add a cover if you need it. I think it took me a couple hours to make one. A few years ago...

Barry
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation