New steering box may have leaked

jstoezel

New steering box may have leaked

Post by jstoezel »

Hi:

I just got a new TRW steering box from CIP. It looks like a bunch of oil leaked out of it, the box and wrapping it came in are just soaked.
I needed to replace the old one since the shaft was worn, the new one is in the car now.

Is this type of leak typical or is this something to be worried about? I'm just about to head to the track and I may have time to open and refill it if necessary.
What type of oil is required? The track is out in the middle of nowhere, if I could use engine oil or trans oil that would be great (and I'm cheap too).

If somebody could assist me with this that would be great, I will be checking the forum on and off at the track.

Jean
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
FV80
Site Admin

Re: New steering box may have leaked

Post by FV80 »

Jean,
I'm not sure what was in the box originally, but you can put heavy duty gear oil into it if need be. I'd use the heaviest you can find. Lucas has a 140 wt. Or you might make a heavier mix by adding some grease to the oil .... or, in a pinch, just use the oil. The biggest problem with oil is it will probably leak out again. On the top of the cover, there is generally a 'plug' - sometimes plastic where the oil can be put in. That is also the most likely point of the leak. In your case, it is likely that the box got stored in an inverted configuration for a while - either on the shelf or during shipping. The plug is on the top so it normally doesn't leak - unless you are using an inverted mount (which I don't think you are) where the leaks become much more of a problem ... like MY cars :-). In my case, I removed the top and put in a light weight EP grease to stop the leaking.
It would probably be fine for the weekend ... BUT, you might add a little gear oil just to be safe.
YMMV
PS. Good luck at the track!
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

The leakage is normal in the storage. You could even find some leakage (sweating) in service. There is more than enough grease in the gearbox to last a FV life time. You only need grease on the teeth. The excess grease is not going to flow onto the teeth unless you heat the steering box.

In general you will damage the gear box in an accident before you ever have any wear issues with the steering box.

Brian
Last edited by hardingfv32-1 on July 16th, 2011, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Yeah I got a new TRW box last year, did exactly the same thing. Leaked in transport and kept leaking for the first couple weekends.. Never bothered topping it up, figured it was just puking whatever it didn't want in there. It's fine now and still smooth as a baby. Ok, maybe a baby elephant, pretty smooth nonetheless.
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I won't bother doing anyhting.

Steve, thanks for the good words. I ran into an issue with a front drum, one of the threads finally went. Eventually somebody gave me an old one, had to remove the seals and bearing races form the damaged one and install them onto the old one.

The old one is pretty worn. I am running carbotechs that are aweekend old and I guess now they will have to be fitted to this drum. I redid the bedding procedure and now the car pulls less onto one side.

It may suck during the races, as I had gained quite a bit of confidence with my braking references.

Jean
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Jean,
Sorry to hear about the thread problem ... HOWEVER, you might find that it is CONSIDERABLY easier to rethread a 12mm thread to 14mm thread and simply use a later model lug bolt in it. I have executed that process during several weekends during my career ( a couple of them "under the five" <g>). The 14mm lug bolts were standard on "later year" model bugs, tho' I can't remember specifically which years. I have quite a number of 14mm lug bolts on hand in my trailer ... just in case ... as well as a 14mm tap and .. "some" drill (can't recall the size either) that makes it a bit easier :-).

An easy way to save a drum .. and eventually, I get around to tapping ALL 5 lug holes so that they all match when I change tires. :mrgreen:

At least you appear to have the problem under control for the weekend...
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Thank you for the great advice Steve, this is truly a good one. I didn't have the 14mm bolts or the tap, so I just had to deal with the worn drum this week-end...

I think the reduction in brake power may have made me even faster :mrgreen: .

FV80 wrote:Jean,
Sorry to hear about the thread problem ... HOWEVER, you might find that it is CONSIDERABLY easier to rethread a 12mm thread to 14mm thread and simply use a later model lug bolt in it. I have executed that process during several weekends during my career ( a couple of them "under the five" <g>). The 14mm lug bolts were standard on "later year" model bugs, tho' I can't remember specifically which years. I have quite a number of 14mm lug bolts on hand in my trailer ... just in case ... as well as a 14mm tap and .. "some" drill (can't recall the size either) that makes it a bit easier :-).

An easy way to save a drum .. and eventually, I get around to tapping ALL 5 lug holes so that they all match when I change tires. :mrgreen:

At least you appear to have the problem under control for the weekend...
Steve, FV80
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0