Front Offset Spindle Bushings

brian

Re: Front Offset Spindle Bushings

Post by brian »

Frankly, I don't think spring wrap up has that much effect on camber. VW uses rubber seals to give to accommodate the wrap up but I do know someone who uses aluminum spacers on the spring but it does not appear to bind from wrap up.

Changing the car's tendency to rotate can be accomplished with the droop adj. It takes time, and someone in the pits to adjust the push rods, but many top cars use this approach to adj. the initial response from the rear suspension. Changing the spring via the collar won't change the droop. We've begun to learn that our zero roll cars are almost instantly on the droop limiters during a turn so changing the camber when on the droop changes the car.. Changing the camber, at droop, will loosen, via less camber, and tighten, via more camber, the rear suspension. If your car is popping into oversteer on entry, shortening the push rod and increasing the camber at droop, will tend to reduce the oversteer. And by extension, reducing camber, by extending the pushrods, will generate more rotation and reduce push.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
hojo

Re: Front Offset Spindle Bushings

Post by hojo »

thanks for your comments brian, i've read a lot about droop in some other massive threads on the forum and tried to sort through all the fact and fiction and come up with my own ideas as to whats going on.

i've learned that if it aint broke dont mess with it cuz you'll mess everything else up in your quest for knowledge or "speed".
i'd rahter know what a proposed change would do before i do it so i can actually evaluate it positive or negative results wise.

just taking what your saying plus G.B's comments on the tracks we run and what i've done on my own its pointed me in a direction i'd like to try out.

from my experience i would agree with your last line about adjusting rear camber and the handling effect it has had on my cars. for instance if i have a lot of oversteer at T2 at mosport i add more rear camber until its manageable. the nature of the corner is such that it will induce oversteer quite easily at turn in. it was easier to detect a few years ago on the old kumho tires because after you had some heat in the tire you should be able to go throught it flat with no lift on your own, if you couldnt, well you had a handling issue to solve. the new falken tire cant do it so it makes it a little more tricky to know if your maxed out or not.

IMO, i think new tires are showing a greater separation in the field up here now beacause they are not so "easy" to figure out.
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200