Oil plug

jstoezel

Oil plug

Post by jstoezel »

Hi,

I have a spare oil plug that is noticeably longer than the one currently installed on my engine (mainly because the spare plug has a magnet on it). The (old) one on my engine seems to have been shortened, there's sanding marks on it.

Is there a maximum length for the oil plug? I'm not too sure what parts are located right on top of the oil plug.

Jean
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Oil plug

Post by FV80 »

Jean,
In all probability, your spare plug will be just fine. HOWEVER, the oil pickup tube is just above that plug generally and you want to make sure that it is not SO long as to partially obscure that tube opening. Next time you change your oil, try to LOOK in the hole and see if you can see the end of the tube - then measure the distance with a screw driver or something to make sure there's enough room. The stock VW has a screen above the pan, but that is not necessarily the case in our engines. There should be nothing else, other than the pickup tube, that should interfere with any reasonable length (you didn't say just HOW long it is) plug. I'd guess that about 1/2" would be the longest you should put in there - but check to be sure. If you can't tell for sure by looking in the hole, you can just remove the extended sump and look to see where and how close the pick up tube is. Most tubes will have been extended into the sump extension by some amount - while you're looking, make sure the tube extension is solid too.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
NotMoss

Post by NotMoss »

I switched over to a magnetic plug last year and it works fine in my sump. My only quandary is that it came with a rubber o-ring gasket which seems to be holding up and sealing just fine after repeated oil changes. I've been wondering if, when I replace it, I should use another o-ring or try a standard VW copper gasket. Anybody have any experience with this?
Ted FV 07 (Retired)
brian

Post by brian »

I prefer one time usage on the copper gasket. Rubber doesn't like being clamped too hard and leaving the drain plug unseated can lead to issues.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.