Front suspension

Ed Womer

Re: Front suspension

Post by Ed Womer »

Kevin,

I haven't noticed you mention the rear toe that you have in the car. If you have made the front end work then if the car is not handling well and you mentioned having to use a lot of steering input it is posible you have the incorrect rear toe in for your tire set up. A quick fix at the track is to add toe in in the rear if the car is overseering/loose which makes the rear want to follow the front. Also is the car square? Check to make sure the front beam is square with the chassis and then make sure the wheel base is the same on both sides. I have worked on cars that were not made square when built and so they had to be squared up with shims behind the front tubes to make the chassis square.

Like Stevan said putting someone in you car or you driving a know good car could be a quick way to check things.

Ed
kkapelke4

Post by kkapelke4 »

Ed,

Yes it is square we have had it on a compterized laser alignment machine.

What would be the max toe in we should have? We have about 1/8'' in now.

What would a good starting for castor for the front? We have about 7.5 deg neg right now.

Thanks
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

You can be aligned and not square. Measure from the center of the front spindle to the center of the rear axle on each side. What is that measurement?

When you say 1/8" toe in at the rear, is that per side? If so, that is too much for my taste. I would recommend trying 1/16 per side.

Are you aligning the car with you in it? (or your equivalent weight?) That is very important. The front toe will change once you get in it. Depending on the location of the pitman arm you will either add toe in or toe out once the ride height changes.

Caster likely isn't the problem, and is different on a lot of cars. As long as you can turn the wheel without TOO much effort at speed, it is probably fine.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
kkapelke4

Post by kkapelke4 »

The machine that we were on was a 4 wheel alignment and checks for square.

We started the weekend with 1/16'' toe in total
than we went to 1/8'' to in total in the rear.
This seemed to help with keeping back end in line around the turn.