fv wiring

Don

fv wiring

Post by Don »

I am rebuilding a "one off" vintage fv, but will post this question here as it applies to any fv. Is it reccomended to put fuses in the wiring circuits (and where would they go) or is it a non issue. Fuses are usually used for heavy current draw circiuts like light horns etc. I am inclined to think fuses would not be required, but wht do others think?

thanks, don
cendiv37

Re: fv wiring

Post by cendiv37 »

Personally, I would fuse everything except the ignition and possibly the oil pressure light.

You can drive with everything else "off" and you can fix the problem later without having to replace half of the wiring harness. A pinched wire causing a dead short is a high current draw no matter what the original load was and it will burn up part of your harness and maybe end your race. All you need is a couple of small to medium fuses to split up the loads a little bit to help diagnosis. You can find 2 - 4 fuse, GM style fuse blocks at most auto parts stores. Those are simple, tough fuses that shouldn't die of vibration.

That said, I've never blown a fuse (nor had one die prematurely) in 15 years in my FV. I have, however, burned up a set (or two???) of points by hooking up them up to the wrong side of the coil :oops:

Just my opinion of course. Your mileage may vary...
Bruce
cendiv37
sabre1

Re: fv wiring

Post by sabre1 »

I definitely agree with Bruce. I haven't used a fuse before and have been lucky. BUT, one short in the wrong place is going to be a bit pricey and a definite inconvenience. So I'm going with a single in-line style fuse; small and inexpensive. Though Bruce does have a good point about using multiple fuses of the newer style...

Another good question to ask would be what size fuse; I was thinking a 5 amp would be adequate to cover everything, but I haven't tried it yet.

-Jim