Cam Wear

satterley_sr

Re: Cam Wear

Post by satterley_sr »

Brian,

it was too long ago for me to remember the numbers. I know we would get parts that missed heat treatment and that resulted in disaster. According to Elgin, because the lifter gets hotter than the cam they should be 5 to 10 points harder. I think beyong 10 point different you would be asking for trouble.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Dave:

After speaking with the owner and after having a chance to look in my files, I am wondering if the cam wear might be due to some other issues and not cam lobe- lifter incompatibility.
This engine that you referenced was rebuilt 4 years ago and had not been run since.
We will never know the cause of the failure, but since I stand behind everything that I do, I am prepared to send you a replacement cam. Since I do not know if you are able to swap gears, I need you to let me know the gear size.

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
satterley_sr

Post by satterley_sr »

Just a follow up, of the two failures I have on hand both were off OG Vw cores. Interestingly both have -3 gears. The third one went to Elgin, I'm sure it was scrapped.

Dave
BLS

Post by BLS »

OG = Original German??? Or something else?
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
satterley_sr

Post by satterley_sr »

Yes OG is original German
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Lost my replacement cam in about one hour this time. A recently ground cam from Elgin. I had four cams done at once, two of which have now failed. I went back and compared the measurements with older Elgin units I have. This latest batch of re-ground cams had .050" more material (.025 per side) than the older examples. I would theorize that the removal of the extra .025 put the wear surface close to the lower level of the heat treatment zone.

Brian
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

Whole lot of theorizing going on here. Simple fact: It's the oil. I believe it is the EPA that is dictating the new standard because of the supposed destruction of the urea based cats. Non-race oils (which now include diesel oils) can have no more than 800 ppm of Zn or P. Vee engines need 1200 ppm or more. Oil companies know this and are trying for substitute additives, such as Boron, but their hands are tied. That is why Redline street oil, for example has 795 ppm while their race oil has more like 2400 ppm.
Argue with this if you wish, but that's the fact, Jack.