resistor spark plugs?

tiagosantos

resistor spark plugs?

Post by tiagosantos »

Like most of my posts, this was a coin toss between the tech tips forum and the noob forum.

The local parts store was out of non-resistor spark plugs, so they gave me a set of NGK resistor plugs. Will it matter? Should I return these and bother having a set of plugs shipped here?
SR Racing

Re: resistor spark plugs?

Post by SR Racing »

Resistor plugs are quite fine. (and non-resistors are getting hard to find.) There will be no difference in a FV engine using the R plug.
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Great, thanks :)
csingletary01

Heat Ranges

Post by csingletary01 »

What is the typical heat ranges of spark plugs used in Vee motors. I am running Bosch range 5 and if I idle any lenght of time they seem to foul. Could I go up a range or so without damage. It makes it hard to warm up oil with this issue.
brian

Post by brian »

A 5 or 6 is fine. If you're fouling plugs idling, you may have to review your jetting.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Yes. I suspect you have a idle mixture problem or maybe valve guide. A race prepped FV carb has been gutted and the idle circuits do not work well at all. I would try turning the idle down as far as you can and then turning in the idle mixture screw as far as you can. It probably won't make much difference. If it doesn't, keep it in all the way and just adjust your idle for the highest rate that you find acceptable. 1200+ ? That will help. If not, you may have to decrease the main jet size and and the a/c jet. Best to do this on a dyno while monitoring a/f ratios. You will also have to make sure that you aren't internally leaking wet fuel down the intake. A couple different carb problems can do this. (high float level, bad check valve in the throttle pump, even an emulsion tube problem etc.)