Front Brake install issue

Edward Schubert

Front Brake install issue

Post by Edward Schubert »

I attempted to install new front brake shoes today and ran into numerous problems. I have 2 different sets of springs and retainers and neither works. The pin that holds the retainer spring in one set is to short (maybe a rear one) and the pin in the second set is to long (sticks out pass the shoes and rubs the drum). I can shim it on the outside but would prefer to use the correct pin. How many different lenghts are there? The adjuster are as far in as they will go and the cylinders are compressed tight yet the shoes are hanging up when I install the drums. I have installed the smaller spring on the adjuster side and the heavy one on the cylinder side....correct? The shoes also appear to have a little longer "horn" on one end...does it matter whether this goes on the cyl or adjuster end? What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks, Ed
Ed Schubert
Zink/Citation 18B
edschubert@live.com
757-692-1181
SR Racing

Re: Front Brake install issue

Post by SR Racing »

Ed,

Yes there are at least 3 lengths of pins. The longest are for the front brakes. The shortest are for the rears. I believe there were also some very short ones for the older rears. You can use longer ones for either front or rears by just using a pop rivet like washer under the head to keep the tip of the pin from hitting the drum.

Yes, you have the return springs installed correctly. You may have the wrong brakes though. There are "angled" and "straight" ones. Look at the slot on the adjuster screw that the shoe goes into. The angled ones have a deep slot on one side and more shallow on the other side. The "straight" ones are close to the same depth all the way across. Do yo have the part number on the brake boxes? We can probably tell you which ones you have from that. I looked at your invoice record with us but it doesn't look like you got them from us. Most Vees use the angled brakes. The very early ones were straight. You can swap back and forth, but you need to change the adjuster screw. (The screw and starwheel adjuster are good spares to carry anyways and they are cheap.) Give us a call.
Edward Schubert

Hello Jim,

I figured out the pin deal already (shimed as you suggested). I have a bag full of adjusters..all flat (look like brake cyl's). I have 2 sets of shoes...one set marked B269 and RBS269, the other marked AF269. Any ideas?

Thanks, Ed
Ed Schubert
Zink/Citation 18B
edschubert@live.com
757-692-1181
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

269's are angled front shoes.
Check the adjusters to be sure you have the right ones installed.

For the straight adjusters you would need the 167 brake shoe.

Hope this helps

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Looks like the wrong shoe. You can changed to the angled adjusters or to the straight shoe.
Edward Schubert

Amazing how when you use the right parts how much easier it is! Thanks Jim and Dietmar, you guys are a wealth of knowledge.
Ed Schubert
Zink/Citation 18B
edschubert@live.com
757-692-1181