fuel cells

Don

fuel cells

Post by Don »

I have a fuel cell question.........(I appreciate that I should be asking the SCCA, however I will ask it here first)

SCCA section 9.3.27 states...."All safety fuel cells shall be.....certified ....FIA FT-3.....All safety fuel cells shall consist of a foam filled bladder enclosed in a metal container at the minimum."
ok so far...
section 4 states....."The use of rotarey molded fuel cells not having a bladder, or not contained in a metal can ............"
what is unlcear to me, and basically my question...

Is a rotary molded cell meeting FIA FT-3, with foam and in a metal container allowed for normal SCCA racing. Fuel safe manufatures one meeting FT-3 that is significantly cheaper ($400) than the usual more flexible ones?

thanks, don
brian

Re: fuel cells

Post by brian »

It is my understanding that the cell must be flexible. If the rotary is a semi hard plastic box, it won't qualify.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
G.B.

Re: fuel cells

Post by G.B. »

I've had such a cell accepted.

As long as the cell is FT3 compliant and contained within a compliant container it is acceptable.