vw case

kidkoh

vw case

Post by kidkoh »

ok vw has said that the mag cases are no longer going to be made and have given the bod a part number for the aluminum case, does that mean that we can now use the aluminum case. are there advantages or disadvantages to the aluminum cases? I know that they are expensive ($1000) but will there be any advantage gained. lastly will they be able to survive the beating we put on our motors. thanks for any info
Matt King

Re: vw case

Post by Matt King »

I think I saw posted somewhere that the aluminum case weighs considerably more than the mag case, so I don't think there is going to be any advantage to it unless you need to run a lot of ballast in your car!
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Maybe I could crank the oil sender fitting harder too without fearing the magnesium wrath! :P
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

The aluminum cases are actually a bit better (at least the ones we have used). But they are MUCH heavier. They will not be the choice for most racers, but at some point will be all there is.
FV55inSpokane

Post by FV55inSpokane »

For Sale: nice old light-weight magnesium case. Dual relief.
LOL!
Lawrence

just kidding
brian

Post by brian »

I just checked with one supplier Bugformance in Ca. and they said they still can get the OEM cases.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

Just curious as to what the latest prices are on any of the cases.
I recently built an engine on one of the AL cases. Thought it was a good way to help keep the price down. After the engine set on the floor for over a year with no interest, I tore it back down and sold the case for (I believe) under $400. It was new and fully blueprinted. Ouch!
Besides being considerably heavier (by approx. 14#s.), I have been recently told that they run considerable hotter.
Mike P.