New pressure plate hitting trans case

hars550

New pressure plate hitting trans case

Post by hars550 »

I am installing my new motor. It has a new heavy duty pressure plate
installed. When turning the motor by hand I noticed there is a raised
boss on the pressure plate that is rubing against the top of the trans case.
Can I grind this boss down on the pressure plate or should I grind the inside
of the case.I want to know if the boss is maybe a balance weight and grinding
it down would cause a vibration.
racing stuff

Re: New pressure plate hitting trans case

Post by racing stuff »

I assume the clutch cover/pressure plate is balanced, so any removal of material from it will have an effect and cause an imbalance vibration. I'm not an expert in F/V clutches, but maybe you have the wrong part.
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

I don't know what class you run in, but in FV road racing you have to run the standard pressure plate. This plate should not interfere with the trans case in any way. If you have something more exotic, I would NOT remove anything from the clutch. As pointed out, it will imbalance the system.

Jim
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Don't know where you bought your HEAVY DUTY pp but it is not necessary in FV

Buy the right part and your problem will go away. Anybody listed at the top of the Interchange page will provide you with the right part.

Just my 2 cents

Dietmar
http://www.quixoteracing.com
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

In this vein... The current diaphram clutch housings are terribly unbalanced. (The older fingered ones weren't much better.) This is compounded by the fact that the housing has significant oversize mounting holes so the housing can be installed with a lot of variance. DO NOT replace your clutch housing if you can help it. If you do, it is highly recommended that you have it spun balanced on your flywheel and pinned to the flywheel. If you don't do this, then don't even bother with a balanced rotating assembly. You are wasting your time. We always zero balance the crank, then the flywheel, then pin the clutch to the flywheel so that it can always be installed correctly, These engines have no harmonic balancer and spin up to 7K. A few grams of rotating imbalance does a lot of wear and tear. (and HP)
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

Have you figured out what the problem is? Any chance that you have a 200mm pressure plate? This is possible if your flywheel came off of a 6 Volt Ghia. Those had the relatively rare combo of being the smaller diameter/starter gear with the larger press. plate/ disk.
All of the 12 Volt flywheels that I have seen are larger with a different starter gear, (131 vs. 109 teeth) which would tip you off as it will drag on the bell housing of the earlier trans.